"Dragst-Her Too"

Discussion in 'CLASS 1 - MUSCLE BIKE 2019 BUILD JOURNALS' started by CRASH, Oct 1, 2019.

1. CRASH

CRASH

I was poking around a little and I came up with an idea. The shifter sits on the bend of the bar which is causing the height issue. On either end.

[​IMG]

If I carve away a little from the one side, it should, in theory, slide down between the tubes and let the ends sit over the tubes. As long as I leave the mounting holes alone for the console, the console will just fall farther over the tubes, and won’t affect the operation.

[​IMG]

The question becomes how do I cut it. I think a grinding wheel will take too long.

2. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr

To me, that's a jigsaw cut.
    (To be honest, if it's too small or delicate for a sawzall, everything is jigsaw!)

3. Dr. Tankenstein

Dr. Tankenstein

Dremel with a cutting blade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandman likes this.
  4. Psychographic

Psychographic

4.5" angle grinder with a cut off wheel will slice right through that with the least chance of bending anything.

Dr. Tankenstein and OddJob like this.
  5. OddJob

OddJob

I agree ^. Get it clamped good, in a vise or other wise, and it should cut through pretty well.

Dr. Tankenstein likes this.
  6. CRASH

CRASH

Ok, I'll try the angle grinder as soon as I can. Good suggestion!

GuitarlCarl and Dr. Tankenstein like this.
  7. CRASH

CRASH

I cut and ground it to shape

[​IMG]

And got it to fit nicely inside the tubes.

[​IMG]

So I tested the cover. I discovered that it still sat too high because the tubes are spread apart farther than a Murray would have been.

[​IMG]

I considered thinning the side walls of the cover. But then I thought it might be easier and more effective to squeeze the tubes.

[​IMG]

This worked. I tried the cover out again, and it fit better, but it still teetered. Inside there are ridges I’m assuming for rigidity.

[​IMG]

So I broke out the dremel and I cut them off. It didn’t teeter and fit much better, but it was tight on the front. So I squeezed the tubes some more, and all of a sudden realized...

[​IMG]

The high pressure squeezing had squished the head tube a bit!!

So now what? Man, I wish I had realized that, I would have put a cup in there to hold the shape. Now how can I get back the shape?

sandman likes this.
  8. Psychographic

Psychographic

How out of round is it? Could you grind a taper into an old cup and hammer it into the tube?

Other than finding something tapered and round that would fit into the head tube and hammering it back to shape, the only other thing I can think of is to squeeze the tube in the opposite direction.

Maybe a large C-clamp and Vice Grips could be used to get it back to shape. Use the C-clamp to hold the cup in place with as much pressure as possible, while you use the vice grips or another C-clamp to squeeze the tube front to back. Adjust the VG's so they close a very small amount at a time, it will be easier to close them and you don't want to go too far in the other direction. In my theory, the C-clamp should force the cup into place, once the VG's push it back into round. You could wrap the head tube with a heavy duty rag to prevent damage to the paint.

I think this would be easier with an extra pair of hands

RustyGold likes this.
  9. Chad T

Chad T

Love the action shot with the grinder!

On head tube, can't you just squeeze a cup in there? The part that goes in the tube might deform a little but the flange where the bearing goes shouldn't.

MattiThundrrr likes this.
  10. CRASH

CRASH

I was thinking about hammering an old one in to get the shape back.

GuitarlCarl and MattiThundrrr like this.
  11. Chad T

Chad T

If you can get a cup in there you should be golden. Bearing surface will stay round and true. I've done this with alloy 1 1/8 cups driving them into ovaled head tubes that I bored out with a file.

12. CRASH

CRASH

The hammering of the old cup worked. There is no problem that can’t be solved as long as you have a big enough hammer.

GuitarlCarl, OddJob and RustyGold like this.
  13. CRASH

CRASH

So, the reason I squeezed the top tubes which squished the head tube was because the tubes were too wide to fit the console cover. Since I couldn’t squeeze them anymore, I decided to thin out the internal walls of the cover. That had the desired effect, and the cover slipped right over easily.

[​IMG]

So the next step was testing how it now fit mounted to the shifter’s base. There’s a bit of an issue. The base is still sitting a little high, so I’m going to work on that. And it also sits askew to the right. Not sure how I’ll handle that.

[​IMG]

I noticed this: the base is set to sit off-center from the cover in the front! Why is that??

[​IMG]

Regardless, the cover, and another cover, have got a trip to make to the chrome guy. So I’ll move forward with just the mechanical work of the shifter.

OddJob and RustyGold like this.
  14. OddJob

OddJob

Is the offset related to how the shifter lever and spring / hardware fit in the console?

I hate to ask this, but, have you stuck the lever in there yet to make sure the tube bending hasn't affected it's operation / fit?

15. CRASH

CRASH

I'll put it back together and double check tonight. What I had in there all fit fine... but I'm going to put the whole thing back together because I want to make sure before I send the cover out for chrome.

16. OddJob

OddJob