"Dragst-Her Too"

Discussion in 'CLASS 1 - MUSCLE BIKE 2019 BUILD JOURNALS' started by CRASH, Oct 1, 2019.

1. CRASH

CRASH

Has anyone tried that? I'm curious about it... but cannot screw up this frame.

2. OddJob

OddJob

I'm intrigued with the idea, but have not tried it. I'd like to see some examples too, if anyone has used this process. I have used 2 x 4 s to straighten frames and forks, they work well and don't leave 'marks'. Using the broader surface area of a sturdy board like that doesn't put all the pressure on a concentrated spot like a pipe or bar would.

3. Psychographic

Psychographic

Are you planning to paint the bike or use the existing finish, is it factory paint?

When cutting up a frame, I managed to put a flat spot in one of the seat stays. I took a piece of pine, cut a notch (against the grain) to fit the tube, and used that to take out the flat spot by firmly tapping it with a hammer. It worked perfectly with no damage. But as always, no guarantees.

I think this would work for you if you added two braces to fit snugly between the upper and lower tubes. Cut notches to fit both the upper and lower tubes, position them at the start and end point. You could even cut your notches a little larger and put rags between the block and frame for protection.

Then using the first block with the notch to slowly work the tubes flat.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    OddJob likes this.
  4. Chad T

Chad T

I'd suggest trying it on a disposable frame. Squeezing those tubes down will tend to tilt the head tube forward and change the angle slightly. Could also cause the tubes to twist at the welds.

No experience with this but it would make me nervous on something I didn't want to break/re-weld.

OddJob likes this.
  5. CRASH

CRASH

I don't have a spare frame. It took me long enough to find this one. The crap thing is... I gave away one of these frames a couple years ago!

6. sdframe

sdframe

You'll figure it out. I've seen your work and this will come out as fine as all the others.

OddJob likes this.
  7. restodave

restodave

As a former plastic modeler I have worked with styrene sheet to build things. I bought it at hobby shops specializing in RC and plastic models.

8. CRASH

CRASH

Having a custom basket made. Here’s some progress.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. OddJob

OddJob

Blue and white basket on a purple frame with purple striped seat? Cutting edge.:rolleyes:

10. GuitarlCarl

GuitarlCarl

Shroud on the shifter idea...
    Rubber boot from the auto salvage yard. Various cars have a rectangle boot on the emergency brake handle between the seats. Would be easy to work with and conform to bends...

Carl.

11. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr

My Subaru has a "leather" bag on the brake lever, you could just make one

GuitarlCarl likes this.
  12. Psychographic

Psychographic

The "For Sale" signs you see in hardware stores are made of styrene, but it seems to be more flexible than the sheets from places like Evergreen. If you plan things right and don't mind some sanding and shaping, you can make almost anything out of sheet styrene. MEK works great for cementing styrene, just be safe with it.

The body, fuel cell, wheels, tires and engine block on this are all made from sheet styrene.

PB070648.jpg PB070649.jpg PB070650.jpg PB070651.jpg

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  13. OddJob

OddJob

@Psychographic , that little sand car, dune buggy, whatever is so cool! I would be very interested in seeing you do this process in a step-by-step.

I'm a huge Weird Ohs model fan, and this is very much along those lines!

Psychographic likes this.
  14. Psychographic

Psychographic

I sent you a message, I don't want to sidetrack this thread. I did want to show what can be done with sheet styrene.

OddJob and MattiThundrrr like this.
  15. CRASH

CRASH

It doesn’t say “styrene”, but I got a couple sheets of 0.015 thick plastic in the model section of Hobby Lobby. I’m assuming Gorilla Glue brand super glue will hold that well enough.

I’m going to work on that this weekend. I guess the biggest question I’m going to have is, once made and attached, if it will be ok to spray chrome on? I’ll have to ask the plastic chrome guy.

RustyGold and Dr. Tankenstein like this.
  16. Psychographic

Psychographic

Spray chrome as in paint, or the process they use to chrome plastic such as model parts?

Model parts are usually coated with a fairly thick coat of clear lacquer before they are plated. The reason for this, the lacquer fills a lot of small voids and levels things. Any imperfections are greatly magnified by the chrome. You should be able to do body work on the part, then clear it before sending it out.

CRASH and OddJob like this.
  17. CRASH

CRASH

Like model or car parts. A guy has the process to do it. He’s retired, but does a batch maybe once a year now.

18. CRASH

CRASH

I guess I’ll throw this here: Lacing wheels and watching football.

[​IMG]

Scribble, RustyGold, SpikeFC and 2 others like this.
  19. OddJob

OddJob

Tough day for Goff and the Rams. Hoping for better results tonight for my Vikings. Skol!

20. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr

No.

RustyGold likes this.