"Dragst-Her Too"

Discussion in 'CLASS 1 - MUSCLE BIKE 2019 BUILD JOURNALS' started by CRASH, Oct 1, 2019.

1. CRASH

CRASH

If it really looks like poop, I'll have to send out the housing and shroud to get re-chromed. That was my initial thought. But the housing really isn't THAT bad. I think once I give it some love, and some new decals, it'll really look a lot better.
    I'll try to find some fairly lightweight, flexible plastic. hmmmmm Maybe Hobby Lobby?

OddJob likes this.
  2. CRASH

CRASH

Not using it as a shifter. I'm going to use it for its intended purpose as a drag brake.

3. CRASH

CRASH

Funny truth: This bike was supposed to be my third priority. Much like the daughter it's being built for... it's demanding all the attention!

4. ParkRNDL

ParkRNDL

So is that frame spreader actually a repurposed or modified automotive spring/strut compressor? Or some other homebrewed tool? Any chance we could get a couple pics of it if it's anything special? I could've used something like that yesterday...

CRASH likes this.
  5. CRASH

CRASH

Harbor Freight spring compressors. I robbed a couple parts off a second and had to hacksaw one of the nuts in half to put it together. Works really smooth, but can sometimes bend some tubing if placed in a weak spot, especially by the brake bridge to make room for a wider sneaker. But bondo fixes that. ;)

ParkRNDL and Dr. Tankenstein like this.
  6. Chad T

Chad T

Don't forget to align those rear drops parallel to the center line of the bike. Especially make sure the drive side is straight for the derailleur.

The Renaissance Man and CRASH like this.
  7. CRASH

CRASH

Yes, I usually end up trying to borrow dropout alignment tools from my LBS, but they changed owners. Maybe I could buy a cheap set?

8. Old Scool

Old Scool

One of my favorite bikes you ever did! Can't wait to see the Dragst-Her-Too

CRASH likes this.
  9. The Renaissance Man

The Renaissance Man __CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster) Pro Member

This was my first thought also. I would'nt modify the shifter and loose the indicator. That is more important to a kid than the frame fit any day!
    You might consider forming something out of whatever you're comfortible with and then cover it with thin padding and the same seat cover material. Make it cover the entire bottom and utilize the mounting bolts to hold it in place.

I like to cut up a cereal box and tape pieces together to work out a pattern for sheet metal. Being that its just a cover, some thin flashing material would probably work after you determine the shape.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    CRASH likes this.
  10. CRASH

CRASH

What is flashing material? I could google, but thought I'd ask.

11. OddJob

OddJob

You can get some thin sheet metal, aluminum or steel, at Home Depot in small sheets. Real inexpensive, you can shape it over a form like a board or other hard edge using your hands. Easily cut with a heavy scissors or tin snips.

12. The Renaissance Man

Roof flashing. Like OddJob stated, you can get it at Home Depot, Lowes etc. Easy to work with.

13. CRASH

CRASH

ahhhhh. hmmmmmm

And as you stated, I could possibly form an entire cover for the bottom. I'm starting to think of what Joe Martin would do on Iron Resurrection. But he has talent. lol

OddJob likes this.
  14. The Renaissance Man

You got this! Just start with cardboard and tape until you get a shape that will fit. Then clean it up into one pattern and then cut and bend.

Was just looking up the shifter that we were discussing and saw this cereal box pattern that I used!
    [​IMG]

Here it is cut out and folded.
    [​IMG]

15. ParkRNDL

ParkRNDL

I made a headbadge out of roof flashing material after guys here on RRB suggested it as a medium. I thought it worked out pretty good. Cost me less than a dollar at Lowe's.

RustyGold and OddJob like this.
  16. CRASH

CRASH

Where do you think I could find a small spring like this? Round on both ends.

[​IMG]

Scribble likes this.
  17. GuitarlCarl

GuitarlCarl

A decent auto parts store... The specialty parts bins at hardware store like Menards or Lowes have all sorts of goodies. Somewhere a little more diy might be Farm and Fleet, Big R's or Tractor Supply. What you have out in California is out of my jurisdiction. I've never been west of Kansas City, Kansas.

Carl.

18. dragnusa

dragnusa

Have you thought about trying to flatten the tubes in that area to bring it down lower?

CRASH likes this.
  19. CRASH

CRASH

I have not. Can you describe what you're thinking?

20. dragnusa

dragnusa

Was thinking maybe 2 pieces of 2x6, one on top and bottom of the bars with a couple bolts running through them and press the pieces of wood together. In theory it would take the curve out of the bars.