"Dragst-Her" (Class 1)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are you plans for a saddle on this swoopy pony?
I couldn't find the saddle I wanted in a price I could pay. I wanted a nice violet seat with mylar stripes, but the only one I found was $200. (I can't stand repop seats. They don't look right for an old muscle bike IMO). So, I bought a solid smoothy. I'm going to add a racing stripe to it to make it look better. That will be another first for me, so I hope I don't blow it.

I shot the frame and parts yesterday. I can tell you... it came out spectacular! While that cures at the shop, today I started to prep the last of the parts for the final build.

Here's the plain, smooth purple seat. Not awful, but I wanted more... "pizzaz" for my daughter's build.
DGqLVc.jpg

It has a black border around the bottom, so...

I taped it.
Vcvin2.jpg

Shot some black.
0mKWdA.jpg

Shot some white.
jZgAml.jpg

And ended up with this.
6e9x80.jpg

Not bad for my first time. I got a little bleed thru, but I'm happy with it.

Surprisingly, no. A few years ago I found a guy, but he was going to charge me about $300 for a console this size, so I kept looking. This guy I found did this console for under $100.
That's awesome!!!!

Just caught up on this whole thread. Amazing bike!! Your daughter is one lucky girl. Mine in only 16 months old and I already have 4 bikes for her.

I shot the frame and parts yesterday. I can tell you... it came out spectacular! While that cures at the shop, today I started to prep the last of the parts for the final build.

Here's the plain, smooth purple seat. Not awful, but I wanted more... "pizzaz" for my daughter's build.
DGqLVc.jpg

It has a black border around the bottom, so...

I taped it.
Vcvin2.jpg

Shot some black.
0mKWdA.jpg

Shot some white.
jZgAml.jpg

And ended up with this.
6e9x80.jpg

Not bad for my first time. I got a little bleed thru, but I'm happy with it.
It definitely makes the seat POP now! Looks great.

Boy, when you make assumptions, they can bite you in the behind. I didn't install the sissy when I mocked up the bike. So when I put it together tonight, the chain was rubbing on the sissy mounting bolt.

FQ0eBI.jpg

I initially panicked for, like, 15 seconds, thinking my entire build wasn't going to work, I wouldn't make the deadline, and my daughter would need therapy when she'd see a beautifully painted bike that she can't ride.

Then I realized I'm dumb, and just needed a spacer. So I threw an extra hub lock nut on the end, and...

7jP5xT.jpg

So, it looks like I can keep my daughter out of therapy for a bit. On with the build.

I'll start this final update with a confession. I am usually a stickler for genuine parts. I had genuine Huffy bars that came with the bike, but I used those really nice bars on my son's Super Stock. (http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...-1969-huffy-super-stock-v-restoration.101606/) So I needed a nice set. Finding NOS Huffy bars is impossible. New Wald bars don't have the right look from the width, height, and angle of the grip ends. So I researched available bars, and I found a set that was nearly identical. I took a picture when I got them against an original pair, and the differences were minut. I could have hidden the fact, but they are...

Last edited:
Here's a great part. I got the drag brake all set up. I've seen so many people ask how to set these up for Screamers and Huffy Twin Sticks, and now I'll be able to show them. Thanks to @Chad T for pointing me to a Knarp. That did the trick.

I set up and cut the housing for both ends of the shifter. I started the cable through.

wEAwAK.jpg

Then I had to get these two pieces started before the cable went through the other side.

qi0IHw.jpg

The spring installs inside the adjustment barrel, and butts up against the housing end. I installed a ferrule on the end of the housing to ensure the spring had a solid surface to butt up against.

It's a little hard to see, but the knarp is sitting sideways with the tightening nut facing the camera.
BE5FJx.jpg

The housing on the back end needed a special ferrule to fit inside port on the back of the shifter. Since I used a type of break lever ferrule, I had to use a drill bit to wide the port slightly.

3plxqY.jpg

I routed the cable through the drag brake arm, into the rear housing and set up and adjusted the rear brake.

Then I eyeballed the position I wanted the knarp, and tightened it down. Mounted horizontally, it rubbed the shifter, so that wouldn't work. So I mounted it vertically to clear. This is with the handle disengaged.

Plh2rr.jpg

And engaged.
g9jchK.jpg

Works fantastic!

The last update will be the final pictures. I need to complete one more detail that is going to be the cherry on top of this build.

Great detail on the workings, now I hope I can get lucky enough to find one and try this out.

Latest posts

Back