"Dragst-Her" (Class 1)

Discussion in 'MBBO 2017 BIKES' started by CRASH, Sep 1, 2017.

1. CRASH

CRASH

Chad, much like Old School's "Altered Ego" from last year, I plan on being able to switch back to stock front end set up so she can ride it comfortably. That front wheel wasn't for show. It's ready to go. The fork will be painted with the frame.

Chad T and Old Scool like this.
  2. CRASH

CRASH

I couldn't find the saddle I wanted in a price I could pay. I wanted a nice violet seat with mylar stripes, but the only one I found was $200. (I can't stand repop seats. They don't look right for an old muscle bike IMO). So, I bought a solid smoothy. I'm going to add a racing stripe to it to make it look better. That will be another first for me, so I hope I don't blow it.

Old Scool and Dr. Tankenstein like this.
  3. CRASH

CRASH

I shot the frame and parts yesterday. I can tell you... it came out spectacular! While that cures at the shop, today I started to prep the last of the parts for the final build.

Here's the plain, smooth purple seat. Not awful, but I wanted more... "pizzaz" for my daughter's build.
    [​IMG]

It has a black border around the bottom, so...

I taped it.
    [​IMG]

Shot some black.
    [​IMG]

Shot some white.
    [​IMG]

And ended up with this.
    [​IMG]

Not bad for my first time. I got a little bleed thru, but I'm happy with it.

Troyminator, OddJob, HatesIT and 7 others like this.
  4. JNOACK

JNOACK

That's awesome!!!!

5. JNOACK

JNOACK

Just caught up on this whole thread. Amazing bike!! Your daughter is one lucky girl. Mine in only 16 months old and I already have 4 bikes for her.

CRASH likes this.
  6. CRASH

CRASH

This might show the lines a little better?

[​IMG]

Muttley, Scribble, RustyGold and 2 others like this.
  7. Old Scool

Old Scool

It definitely makes the seat POP now! Looks great.

8. CRASH

CRASH

After letting it cure, I picked up the painted stuff today. I'll start assembly today. I used the color I shot for my Fastback, but added a lot of flake to it. It just explodes in the sun! The darker color is a match to the original Huffy purple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HatesIT, tjwilson, Scribble and 2 others like this.
  9. Jaxon

Jaxon

You can really see the flake in the fork pic. Great Job on the paint. You always do nice paint work.

10. CRASH

CRASH

Boy, when you make assumptions, they can bite you in the behind. I didn't install the sissy when I mocked up the bike. So when I put it together tonight, the chain was rubbing on the sissy mounting bolt.

[​IMG]

I initially panicked for, like, 15 seconds, thinking my entire build wasn't going to work, I wouldn't make the deadline, and my daughter would need therapy when she'd see a beautifully painted bike that she can't ride.

Then I realized I'm dumb, and just needed a spacer. So I threw an extra hub lock nut on the end, and...

[​IMG]

So, it looks like I can keep my daughter out of therapy for a bit. On with the build.

11. CRASH

CRASH

I'll start this final update with a confession. I am usually a stickler for genuine parts. I had genuine Huffy bars that came with the bike, but I used those really nice bars on my son's Super Stock. (http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...-1969-huffy-super-stock-v-restoration.101606/) So I needed a nice set. Finding NOS Huffy bars is impossible. New Wald bars don't have the right look from the width, height, and angle of the grip ends. So I researched available bars, and I found a set that was nearly identical. I took a picture when I got them against an original pair, and the differences were minut. I could have hidden the fact, but they are...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Old Scool likes this.
  12. CRASH

CRASH

[​IMG]

Lowriders. :oops:

The real crap thing is that I bought them two years ago, and I haven't been able to find them again. I'll search hard again when I need another pair.

Old Scool and Scribble like this.
  13. CRASH

CRASH

Anyone else find it annoying that you can't post large updates with a bunch of pictures? I get an error when I have too much Aggravating! @Rat Rod , is this a new "feature"?

Ok, on with the updates...

14. CRASH

CRASH

I love these pedals. I love them because they match so well. I bought them a few years ago, still in the package NOS, and they match so well it is crazy, especially since everything has been purchased over the course of years, vice weeks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. CRASH

CRASH

Hand made fabric streamers. :grin: She loves these!

[​IMG]

Chad T, Old Scool and Scribble like this.
  16. CRASH

CRASH

Here's a great part. I got the drag brake all set up. I've seen so many people ask how to set these up for Screamers and Huffy Twin Sticks, and now I'll be able to show them. Thanks to @Chad T for pointing me to a Knarp. That did the trick.

I set up and cut the housing for both ends of the shifter. I started the cable through.

[​IMG]

Then I had to get these two pieces started before the cable went through the other side.

[​IMG]

Chad T and Scribble like this.
  17. CRASH

CRASH

The spring installs inside the adjustment barrel, and butts up against the housing end. I installed a ferrule on the end of the housing to ensure the spring had a solid surface to butt up against.

It's a little hard to see, but the knarp is sitting sideways with the tightening nut facing the camera.
    [​IMG]

Chad T, HatesIT, Old Scool and 2 others like this.
  18. CRASH

CRASH

The housing on the back end needed a special ferrule to fit inside port on the back of the shifter. Since I used a type of break lever ferrule, I had to use a drill bit to wide the port slightly.

[​IMG]

I routed the cable through the drag brake arm, into the rear housing and set up and adjusted the rear brake.

Then I eyeballed the position I wanted the knarp, and tightened it down. Mounted horizontally, it rubbed the shifter, so that wouldn't work. So I mounted it vertically to clear. This is with the handle disengaged.

[​IMG]

And engaged.
    [​IMG]

Works fantastic!

The last update will be the final pictures. I need to complete one more detail that is going to be the cherry on top of this build.

OddJob, Chad T, HatesIT and 3 others like this.
  19. Old Scool

Old Scool

Great detail on the workings, now I hope I can get lucky enough to find one and try this out.

CRASH likes this.
  20. CRASH

CRASH

Find a girls Super Stock, or a Twin Stick? Good luck on the Twin Stick! o_O

krate-mayhem and HatesIT like this.