DOUBLE L'S "Flame-Thrower" FLAT-TRACKER

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoubleL

Double L's Steel Crank'n Vintage Rustorations
Reaction score
Started this build with a bare new old stock Worksman frame with 14 inch goose neck. Added an on-hand Worksman rear wheel and used tire to mock it up. Picked up an old Schwinn Chopper that was in the scrap yard and wil try to salvage the triple-tree front end. Looks like a 24 inch front wheel with the 26 inch rear will give it the height I want.

The first photo is after several days work getting everything to go together. A lot of grinding and cutting. This photo is without the tank I have made and will be putting it on in next photo.

This is the Schwinn Sting Ray Chopper donor bike. I was able to remove the triple tree after a small struggle. Removed he brackets and pegs with a torch and cleaned them up...sanded them , and a coat of grey later. It looks like I will have plenty of space up front with the elongated tubes to do something with... a light of some sort.

After careful measuring I came up with this front tube extension. It will be brazed together next with an additional bar in center for added strength. It worked out fine. As you have noticed...my photos on this build will not be in order. I will explain the best I can. A note of interest is that I am pretty dismayed by the poor true quality of the Worksman frame. They were probably better built 50 yrs ago. The sticker on this frame said...."Made in the US with imported parts" That explains it! My next build will be with a true pre-war frame..anyway....more photos coming up. Thinking about what I want to do up front...so much space...also color? this re-sale red may not stay....

Used my torch, vise, and an oversized pipe to heat and bend this seat pos. Nice blue color now....heat treated it in oil bath to cool it. Tomorrow I plan on working more on the tank....it is just a hollow wooden model now (oak) and I plan on some sort of nice cver for it...hammered copper...metal of some sort....old oil cans..??

OK.... this tank fit pretty nice. It swells in the center and goes back to the width of the front and rear bars it connects with. A paint scheme is in the works....also maybe a chopped rear fender..definitely a number plate up front across the steering tubes...and maybe some drab colors...aging it a bit.

Considering you are only allowed one bike in the build-off,wich one are you entering in the end? Or haven't you decided?
I prefer the Ratty,the patina and striping is cool...
But the cargo looks great as well,just had a vision of 20' wheels on it,would make a great Mixie/Mini Velo...Lol my mind boggles me.

This whole thread should probably be in the builds forum...

Carl.

Yea, I'll b going with the Roll-Fast ....the patina is it... like the definition of "Patina" above.....I have been workn on several bikes ....I guess I fear running out of time...I mean real earth time.... to create something memorable......

Worked on the bike all day yesterday and today...finally coming together... Used torch to cut out mounting brackets free-handed with acetelene...found a large, straight vintage speed-chain sprocket...vintage pedals... and toning down the orange-red orig color of the frame with several diff spray bombs. Blunted off with the torch the rear flare fender....from front fender of a donor bike hiding in the garage. Mounted light... tomorrow finishing up.... then decide which one I will enter...

Slid back in the garage after a long day at it. Funny how one idea moves to others as you go along...kind of went nuts with the torch....need to get more acetelene tomorrow. going to add some flaring flames on rear fender possibly housing a tail-light. Mounted th headlight ///but not real happy...too high... maybe I will come up with something....maybe a springer set added .. sp far I am happy with the faux patina I am ATTEMPTING.. blacked out the lettering on the tires. looks betta. more work on the kick stand.,..thats temp. do like the lower bars...adding a number plate to morrow to give it the racing stigma....who knows..

Previous photo is it next to "Tire-Ranasaurus Cycle-saurus Extant" Another one with some crazy things going on..

Latest posts

Back