Dorm Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in college and live in the dorms so I dont have a lot of room. Anyways I went to a flea market and a man pulled up and was unloading his truck and I saw the bike in the back of his truck and asked him how much. Well he started talking in spanish and i didnt get much of it but I was able to understand diez soi figured he only wanted 10 bucks so I payed him and stuffed the bike into my back seat and drove home. I'm building this bike for my friend for her birthday and since im in the dorm theres not a lot I can do and this is also my first bike to build so any tips would be appriciated.
DSC00087.jpg

Two words, steel wool. And a lot of it. Haha! Doesn't look too bad though. Will probably clean up nice! The dent in the rear fender might be a pain. are you going to fix it, or go fender-less? You could always chop it into a bobber style...

Very nice of you to build up a bike for a friend!

Should clean up good. Brass brush/steel wool the rims,crank and sprocket. I agree about bobbing the fenders (cut shorter). Rattlecan paint is easy and cheap- find a outside stairwell or something to paint in.

Welcome to the RRB. You might post an Intro HERE

If you bob the fenders keep in mind that the longer the piece of unsupported fender, the greater the wiggle. Although greater wiggle is something most of us would like in our female friends, you don't want it in a fender. I'm not saying don't bob it, heck, I just built a Speedster with bobbed fenders. Just keep it functional. Some other ideas:

1) Keep an eye out for other $10 bikes to use as parts. Colleges are filled with bikes abandoned from former students and the schools normally sell them extremely cheap. I would bet if you could locate the university surplus department and ask them in person if they could give you a couple of abandoned bikes that they never could sell, and that this was a birthday present for a friend, they would give you some freebies.
2) Ask art majors or graphic design majors for ideas. This site is also a great place for ideas and many a bike has been built for a girlfriend here.
3) Use her favorite colors on the bike, and try to incorporate her interests or personality in it somehow. Women looove that stuff. The dollar store and crafts store can be a source of inexpensive, whimsical items to throw on the bike.
4) If you need more space, find the smallest guy in the dorm and demand he keep the bike in his room....and get his lunch money while you're at it.
5) You won't need too many tools, but you'll need some. At a minimum, screwdrivers, a hammer or rubber mallet, and two wrenches. A can of WD40 wouldn't hurt either, but you won't need the whole can.
6) Sharpies and paint pens make for cheap pin stripes. You can borrow this stuff from the art majors or the wimpy kid in the dorm holding your bike.
7) You might want to buy a lock for your friend to use, since bikes are often stolen at college and you probably don't want to give her a present and then have to say "You'll need to buy _____ before you can use it".
8) Bicycle laws vary by state, city, and county, and the college might have a few of their own. You might likewise want to take care of the safety-related ones for her before giving her the bike, things like lights and reflectors. They're fairly cheap at places like Walmart ,and even more so if you get a parts bike or the dorm has more than one wimpy guy.

Good luck with the build!

Well Ive done a few cars and done some body work on my 50 dodge and I work in an auto shop so I had some body work tools and a decent sized tool box. Ya I bought some steel wool and wd40 last night. I went ahead and took the dent out ill post some pics later hope to have it painted by thursday. Im just doing a basic look that both me and her like, flat black body, cherry gloss wheels, Im gonna try to find some white wall tires. Theres gonna be a few things to kinda make it unique and we are gonna talk about it tomarrow.

Sounds good man! Nice and simple. Definitely post some pics of the fixed fender.

I would cover the whole bike in lime green fun fur and jb weld baby doll heads on the downtube. I have been drinking so my opinion may change soon. ok red fun fur.

That would be crazy and I wouldnt ride it but im sure I oculd find someone that would want that. Heres a pic of the bike and rims painted going to buy tires and a chain today
DSC00095.jpg

YOU PAINTED THAT IN THE DORM ROOM?!?! lol I hope you cracked a window..good job

Ya I told u im doin the whole thing in my dorm room. Ya i opened up a window and turned on my fan. Heres it put back together still in progress im gonna do a few minor things like the chain and then all the design details.
DSC00102.jpg

Nice work. I love that you painted it in your room that must have smelled pretty bad for a couple hours. The seat and grips I used on the rust to rat build are from Nirve. The only issue I have are with the grips the chrome parts are plastic and I think will break/scratch easily. Here are the links to the Nirve site. I have also seen the leopard seat and grip sell as a set on ebay for around $50.

http://www.nirve.com/parts.asp?cid=3004
http://www.nirve.com/parts.asp

Ya I was thinking about having my grandma just reupholster the seat with that fuzy leopard print. Im about to start painting some red accents on the bike and trying to decide if I wanna paint the handle bars. Ill post some pics when im done with the accents.

justinspruiell said:
Here it is almost done just 1 more thing to do then im done

let me guess... a chain? I like what you were able to accomplish in the confines of a dorm room. Your roomate must be a pretty forgiving guy, my roomate in the freshman dorms would have been a major jerk about this type of thing. But he was a major jerk about everything...

What did your RA say? :p

Well our dorms aren't set up in the traditional manner. They are more like 4 bedroom apartments. So my roommates all have their own room. And the ra in the complex is upstairs so it doesnt matter to them really. But Ya Im putting on the chain and a cutting out Betty Page from a tin off ebay for a badge.

Wow, pretty impressive for a dorm room build.

Kori's gunna love it. heck, id love to have it??

Latest posts

Back