Dodge Dart... a conversation starter

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

One of my cars is a '75 Plymouth Scamp (Dart Cousin) Yeah,I HAD a '74 Dart Hot Rod once...

Every stranger thats ever struck me up in a conversation about it would always relate a story of how they had one or knew sombody that had one,and I like hearing them all!

There used to be a time you could spit and hit a Dodge Dart...

Post up your Dart stories here!

cr.jpg

My twin brother and I had a 1969 Dart GT in high school(1990) during our senior year. Red with black vinyl top and slant six. It was nice and original. We didn't know much about cars but what looked cool. We used to dance on the hood and trunk at the parties. Tough because it never dented.

I had a 69 Dodge Swinger, same as a Dart, just a different name. It came with a nickname, "The Blue Goose", because of the backyard paintjob on it. it was dependable with it's slant 6 motor.

I had just started working at a combination airconditioning, propane gas, and fabrication shop as their parts runner. They had communication to my truck via a CB radio to the shop and office. The dispatcher had a callsign: "Blue Flame".

One busy day, they kept calling and sending me all over for more parts. I was new to the job and thought I did great by getting it all done and returning before closing time. They were all watching me as I came in with all the stuff. The dispatcher was highly ticked off. I had been calling him "Blue Goose" everytime I got on the radio!

I had a 1970 dart swinger with the "bullet proof" slant 6. dark green black vinyl top. was my first car and then the battery went bad and it was in the street, came outside one day and was gone, "Towed" never saw it again.

CCR said:
100_0431.jpg

only pic i could find, dads dart at Indy, i think he sold it when i was in the oven !!!

hee hee! He may have sold it for that reason! You bein in the oven. ;)
I remember him telling me it was costing him too much.

i had a '75 dodge dart swinger. and man i loved that car.
it was a 2 door w/ the slanted rear glass. it kinda looked like a baby charger.
and yes it had the leaning tower of power(slant six). you couldnt kill it if you tried.
i got it from a straight up trade for a '64 nova 4 door.
the other guy wanted an older car. i wanted an automatic trans that my wife could drive.
i drove it for about 8 months and the guy in charge of my trailor park started to crack down on how many cars people could have. at the time i had 3 classic cars and 2 dailey drivers(my wifes and mine) in my driveway.
like a dummy i sold the swinger for 300 clams. and parked the '52 chevy at work for the time being.
if i had a crystal ball........
i bought a house w/ a 2 car garage and a decent size yard a few months later. had i known that i would've stashed the swinger at my dads house....

dang the luck :x

two of us once loaded my Honda CM400e (street bike) in the trunk of a friend's slant ticks Dart because the cop that pulled me over wouldn't let me ride the bike home. I still can't believe we fit it in there, and I can't believe the cop let us drive off like that. We each sat on one side of the trunk and held the bike up. At one point the bike started to slip and when I grabbed for the handlebars, I hit the starter button and the bike started. Holy disaster. This was in 1982.

^^^ You must relay this story in detail to me later.

My first car was a 69 Dart with a slant tick. Gold with a black vinyl top. The trunk was monstrous. I had it for about a year. Would have had it longer, but my Grandfather offered me his 77 Nova with the 250ci six. Pretty good start on cars I think. If the cars didn't rot out the engines would still be running to this day.

Someone kept this CM400e in heated storage for 14 years. I got it for 700 bucks because he couldn't get it to start. 26 years old and only 4000 miles on it. I sold it because i thought I wouldn't ride it in traffic here in the big city, but I wound up living 3 miles from work, wish I hadn't sold it now.

b97x8x.jpg

Not to highjack the thread though, here's a 69 Swinger. What a name for a car.

14y24qb.jpg

^^ Yup, that's the bike. Mine was black. Bought it brand new in '83, it was a two year leftover (1981). Imagine lifting that into a car trunk. I don't know how we did it.

I had a 69 valiant ( same thing as the dart) I sold it to buy my 65 Belvedere, glad I did, liked the valiant, but I love the belvedere.

Drove a 63 Dart in high school and college, it had the bulletproof slant six and push button on the dash automatic. Beige, 4 door granny car. In college the alternator started to go bad, but I was too poor to replace it, so at night in the winter I would plug in a battery charger and run an extension into the fraternity house basement window. I could usually start the car three times before I had to plug it in again. :lol:

My parents (bless 'em) got me a '67 GT (Earl Scheibe purple) when I finished high school, $500.00. When my dad saw how it held up, his next old beater was an early '70's Skamp, with about half as much trunk space. :? If I knew then what I know, it could have survived me. :roll:

When I got my license my folks had a '62 Dodge Dart, 318 V-8 with typewriter drive and a torque-flight tranny. That thing would really fly. Gary

My best friends dad bought him a '72 Dart Demon for his 15th birthday, the car was all original down to the air in the spare tire. It only has the Slant 6 in it, and if i remember right the car is still below 100,000 miles. He did all the body work and paint himself, converted the front to disc brakes, and he put a pretty decent sound system in it.

here it is a few months ago
l_f1be709e447e434087091f8114c3b755.jpg

not a bad car for a 17 year old, definitely a head turner, i love riding in it.

Unfortunately shortly after his heater core blew up he forgot to put his hood pins back in, and it being a fiberglass hood, it flew up and hit the windsheild, then ripped off the hinges completely. He should have it fixed by this weekend hopefully

my first car was a 1974 duster, it had a 225 slant 6. i paid $500 for it over 20 years ago. the memorys got going when some body said you could spit and hit one. i had 2 friends in high school one had a duster and the other had a dart. you dont see them on the road any more. i miss that car. :cry:

My first car was also a Duster. A slant six 1970, bare bones no-option car. Since then I’ve owned a 1971 Demon, 1970 Dart, 1970 Duster # 2 and currently have 1970 Duster # 3 stashed away. I’ve owned other musclecars, but the A-body Mopars have always been my favourite.

-Mp

Latest posts

Back