DILLIGAF Shelby "Bareflow" (formerly Hiawatha Arrow)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DILLIGAF build

Looks like a Shelby to me.Cool Frame to start with :wink:

Re: DILLIGAF build

Sweet frame!
Good luck!

Re: DILLIGAF Hiawatha Arrow

I had never seen one of those tanks until this build off, and that is the third one.
I don't think you will have a problem selling it.

Re: DILLIGAF Hiawatha

55 T-Bird is a great build inspiration.
Looking forward to it.

EDIT: I obvious totally misread the part about 55TBird. LOL

Re: DILLIGAF Hiawatha

Here's what these great looking bikes look like when restored for anyone who has never seen one. To me it is one of the ultimate factory bikes ever from a design perspective top to bottom, everything flows with a fluidity not seen today.

Re: DILLIGAF Shelby Bareflow (formerly Hiawatha)

I worked out a deal with 55tbird on my Hiawatha Arrow parts. I'm going to use the one bike change rule,

"TRADITIONAL" BUILD OFF RULES
1. You can only enter one bike in the build off (can change bikes once if needed),

and use a Shelby Airflow frame. Photos to be added soon.

Re: DILLIGAF NOW Shelby "Bareflow" (formerly Hiawatha)

Back in action. Here's the new pile of parts and a partial mock up. My rear hub and chain ring are both skiptooth, and I don't have a chain. What's the best source for a skiptooth chain? Is it possible to run any other sort of non-skiptooth chain on what I've got?

Re: DILLIGAF NOW Shelby "Bareflow" (formerly Hiawatha)

The best source for a skiptooth chain is another bike that you paid less than fifty bucks for, which seems to be the going rate on eBay these days. Second best source is to ask around here, maybe someone has a secret stash - especially if you have something to trade. (You should have held out for a chain when you put the tank up for grabs.) Parts are sometimes easy, sometimes hard to come by. There's always craigslist, too where folks don't know what they have. Good luck w the build, I dig that frame. Looking good so far.

People sometimes restore old chains by slow-cooking them in heavy weight gear oil on a hot plate outdoors - less than 150 degrees for a few hours. Be careful, and mind the stench. The heat expands the metal so the gear oil can penetrate into the tight spots. I'm about to try it myself on a couple of old skiptooth chains. I think one might be salvageable and I don't have much hope for the other. I'll be posting the experiment over on my build thread.

Latest posts

Back