Diesel assisted power ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought it was here I read mention of diesel powered bicycles and it got me curious, my Dad works for a small diesel manufacture; http://www.xrdi.com/75_hp_Engine.html

I know the mounts and drive would have to be figured out, and I'd have to get a motor, they are extremely efficient, burn almost anything, and cost little to maintain. Best part is, the owner is a gearhead/my Dad is a gearhead. Betting I can get some top level input as I dream this up!

Anyone built a diesel pedal assisted bike?

The weight would be a disadvantage, unless a lightweight diesel motor is out there. A big advantage is the quality a diesel motor must have to operate, you can be sure there won't be many cheap diesels.

Wildcat said:
The weight would be a disadvantage, unless a lightweight diesel motor is out there. A big advantage is the quality a diesel motor must have to operate, you can be sure there won't be many cheap diesels.
Yeah check out xrdi specs.

Heavy Fuel Engine Family Specifications
Engine 75 cc Type Single cylinder Displacement 75 cm³ Mixture Control MCDI*
Bore 49 mm Stroke 40 mm Power 6 hp
Ignition Dual Plug ECU controlled Cooling Air Weight 6.3 lbs
Speed Range 3000-7000 rpm Fuel Any US military grade fuel
Lubrication Oil injection Temperature Range -30 °C to + 55 °C
Maturity Level Available Expected Time between Overhauls >150 hours plus

That engine looks tall, with the overhead cam.You will need to select the bicycle frame carefully. That will make a truly unique build. With the diesel torque, it make be a great motor for those fatty tire bikes (Surly Pugsly replicas).

That is a cool motor! I have always had a thing for diesels since my first one a 1978 Mercedes 240D (had 400,000 miles when I bought it for $500). Funny thing was after I bought it I filled the tank and a week later I took it in to my mechanic to see if the fuel gauge was working right, it had not moved in a week of driving all over the place. He just laughed and asked if it was my first diesel, I said yes it was and he just said enjoy it. I did...VERY much. It is only due to Indiana's road salt I had to scrap it after it hit 700,000 miles, still purred like a kitten....a kitten with sleep apnea and a snoring problem but it ran good. Most diesels the body will literally rot off the motor before the motor quits.

Just curious what is the price range on that motor?

It would be great to see some size comparison pictures. The diesel posed next to some common item most everyone knows the size of. 8)

scrumblero said:
whats the 2 spark plugs for? :?
Actually you are correct, they are spark plugs! After talking to Dad I find out they are multi fuel burners, that's not an overhead cam, that's the fuel pump!
The fuel is injected into the cylinder and the ecm determines weather spark is needed and when it's needed. Yes it is a heck of a power source, military applications!
I am still waiting on a price~! Hopefully it doresn't require a goverment bid to get a quote!
Dad told me they run them on a dyno for days at max power to determine any weaknesses...
Most times they just wear out, not blow up.

Oh heck yeah! I could picture a diesel rat trike with twin mini stacks, five or six speed rear axle with a geared hub mid-drive and two suicide shifters, maybe dual rear wheels.

Latest posts

Back