Devist8er ~ Oct update

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Devist8er

We had a long weekend here in Ontario and some great weather as well. So I got some time in on the trailer and the bike build.

Wheels are done and LooKin sweet 8)
rearwheel_zps9e3a4af3.jpg

Here's a good comparison. A 26" x 2.30 Kenda K-Rad on a 50mm wide rim which normally looks big, until its beside the Devist8er.
26x4front-comp_zps2d417a52.jpg

Here's the front wheel with the Sturmey Archer XL-FD drum brake.
26x4front_zpsc954f8ef.jpg

And here it is! The rear wheel with no air pressure JAMMED in the frame. :idea: So a cutting I will go. Off with the rear says to make them wider and the drop outs will be cut off and I'll make different ones that set the wheel down and back further to get the needed height.
backwheel_zpsb1f389c0.jpg

I'm curious as to how your going to get a chain line with a 3.15 wide rim and an 8 speed
hub. I would think those tires are in the way.

Uncle Stretch said:
I'm curious as to how your going to get a chain line with a 3.15 wide rim and an 8 speed
off set laced and wide crank ? :wink: but after looking at the picture above , i dont see allot of axle sticking out for bolting the left side :?

OneHorsePower said:
Uncle Stretch said:
off set laced and wide crank ? :wink: but after looking at the picture above , i dont see allot of axle sticking out for bolting the left side :?

Yes, Uncle Stretch just as OneHorsePower has mentioned. I've off set the wheel and have purchased an offsett BB. I've got the frame cut and am working on looking at the drive line. I may ever so slightly off set the stays as well.
fittingthewheel_zpsa5f190dc.jpg

That frame and fender work looks sick together with that wheel!

Got lots of time in on the the bike this weekend. The frame is welded back up and the tire fits well. Got the fender mounted, and set up the drive line.
backwheelin_zpsaf15651d.jpg

There! The chain is in and runs true with lots of clearance from the tire and fender. Working on setting the Rivets now.
driveline_zps1b60126d.jpg

Dang............there goes my speed hole in the tank surprise.........have to think of something different now :(

Bike is looking fantastic!! Can't wait to see what else you have in store.

Thanks guys, Ya I'm lovin the hole theme. It started with wanting to put holes in the new rear drop-outs. I wanted to make them a little lighter, then I got workin on the fender and thought the hole theme should go through out the bike.

Here's some close ups of them mods. Not the greatest welds but it works with the rough look I'm going for.
lowerstay_zps63fc3336.jpg

upperstay_zps9d8953dc.jpg

tankholes_zps9fbe16cc.jpg

rearstays_zps3f227865.jpg

holes_zps5e7f2043.jpg

Here's the lay out to drill the rivet holes.

r-lines_zps80ba7fc9.jpg

r-holes_zps0a434a2a.jpg

Custom drop-outs! 8)
reardropouts_zps8dd40a71.jpg

Adding some colour to the holes.
paintedholes_zps60441334.jpg

paintedholes2_zps832566f4.jpg

This is such a wicked build!
Love the red accent in the holes too!

This is becoming one of my favorite builds!

The detailing is really making the bike. The dropouts are cool, but the closeup picture of them shows the holes are very smooth, something many would not go to that much trouble to do. The same work is seen throughout, the welding, the tank, rivits, fender, seat post... nice job!

peace

rich

Latest posts

Back