Deep Contusion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
699cf4e8af066969d27f7a846bf6c961.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loving the mix of parts.
Looking sharp

Any more updates on this 'bruiser'....?:hi:

Fill us in on the gearing, is the 25t for mock up? Or are you rebuilding the rear wheel? Interested in gear splits with the 3 speed.

Ive got a few sets of those cranks, kind of a standard crank that multiple companies put their label on. Nice set up.

Fill us in on the gearing, is the 25t for mock up? Or are you rebuilding the rear wheel? Interested in gear splits with the 3 speed.

Ive got a few sets of those cranks, kind of a standard crank that multiple companies put their label on. Nice set up.

Not sure yet. That's my next order of business though. I'm guessing I will need a bigger sprocket, but I was going to try it out. With the 3-speed hub,, I was wondering if it would work. I also have a smaller cog, but I like the look of this one better. Going to put a chain on it soon and see how it goes, but I anticipate that a 30t - 40t sprocket will be better.

10801737964d18dfb36bba75d7f81c05.jpg

Well, I got it rolling and I definitely need to adjust the gearing. Probably go up to 30-40t sprocket as I anticipated. I loved the way she rolled though. I also experienced some "loosey-goosey-ness" in the drivetrain. Can't decide if it's because of the gear ratio, loose chain, or because I damaged a bearing while installing the cups... because I know I did.

I'd say start with the chain first. Looks like at least a full link could be removed.
Those internal rear hubs work best with a chain that is pretty tight. Keeps the shifting in line.

I'd say start with the chain first. Looks like at least a full link could be removed.
Those internal rear hubs work best with a chain that is pretty tight. Keeps the shifting in line.

Yeah, I just threw a chain on it quickly to check gear ratio. Going to get a new sprocket this week

Bike is looking sweet! That low gear could be making you turn the cranks farther to take up the slack in the hub especially when changing gears.

I had to run the chain kind of loose to get my Sturmey 3 speed to run smooth...your mileage may vary...:D

e4407b2e3a4fcd8f8b4510685f536741.jpg

So I have to laugh at myself... I need to focus more during my late night build sessions. I took it out for a test ride to see if this new 44T sprocket would work better, and it did, for about 50 yards when the chain fell off because I forgot to put the master link back on. Ugh! Looked for about 10 min with a flashlight but couldn't find it.

Latest posts

Back