Deco-ed Out (working title)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well made some more progress this past couple of weeks and there is something to be said about a successful failure. Got the mold done and tried to make a part in it. I know now how much resin to put in the mold per coat and to change rotation direction for each coat applied to prevent missed spots.

In the machine ready to go.
2013-03-05_17-42-54_759_zps6ed0edd2.jpg

Out of the machine and a little problem. This is supposed to be all one piece, not two perfect halves. Oops.
2013-03-05_19-48-15_455_zps926aab88.jpg

Video of machine in action.
[URL=http://i254.photobucket.com/al...2013-03-05_17-47-06_968_zps2139c6a0.jpg[/img][/url]

Halves out of the mold and showing the thin/missing spot.
2013-03-07_16-35-50_58_zps19551e5d.jpg

Had another go at it tonight with new technique in hand and had much better results. Piece came out of the mold in one piece and the right thickness too. I will have pics of it tomorrow. Now that I know the mold works properly I can work on the frame with a little more vigor. Stay tuned for more updates this week.

I want to know about the car in the background...looks like a Box Lincoln/Mercury...with a Cummins in it. Is that correct?

TexasDart said:
I want to know about the car in the background...looks like a Box Lincoln/Mercury...with a Cummins in it. Is that correct?
I didn't notice that the first time through, it does have a Ford family look to it, and that does look to be a truck diesel... Good eyes TexasDart, hopefully the Independent man will enlighten us!

Luke.

Good eye tex on the cummins. Its in a 1967 Chrysler Imperial. Another project I have been working on for a few years now. I think its going to get 4x4 axles next month, just to be different.

cool 67 Imperial....I'd just make it a nice cruiser with that cool cummins...don't need to make it 4x4. But that's me and it's your car. Those cummins can really make some power. Will it be auto or 5speed?

It is an auto with overdrive so I am going to stick with that. I was planning on doing the lowered cruiser thing with it but the more I look at the front end parts, the more of them I need to replace. I have to put new front calipers on it and the pair alone is over $400. :cry: I am getting a pair of Dana 70's and a divorced transfer case from my uncle for $150. Then its just fab up four link bars and add air bags and its ready to go. I like building unique things.

Well its finally time for an update. Sorry to keep everyone waiting, but I have been working two jobs and working on other peoples paying jobs in the shop so not much time for goofing around. Now that mess is finally done its time to build the frame. I had the down tube bent already so I just had to figure out where to mount the head tube. I bent up some hoops for the rear triangle and will fit them tomorrow. Then its just the backbone, seat post, and bb and its a roller. My friend has a new recipe for the epoxy for the fenders so we are going to make another set this week as well. At least I can use the first ones for mock up to get all the holes right. Here is a few pics from tonight and hopefully more to come tomorrow.

2013-04-14_22-58-07_966_zps7595809c.jpg

2013-04-14_22-58-32_400_zps6d68f3d0.jpg

2013-04-14_22-59-16_647_zpsd5de4a62.jpg

Stay tuned.

Latest posts

Back