Dating Schwinn 1941 SPEEDWAYS and LIBERTYS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Does anyone know how to date a Schwinn Liberty or Speedway? I have a girls 26" speedway that looks to be 1940's and a men's Liberty that seems to 40's as well but can't find info on dating these (date codes do not match up to regular Schwinns. UPDATE: I have been sent date codes and see they match up as 1941's

Speedway
DSC04153.jpg

DSC04152.jpg

DSC04150.jpg

DSC04151.jpg

DSC04156.jpg

Liberty
DSC04139.jpg

DSC04137.jpg

DSC04138.jpg

Re: Dating Schwinn SPEEDWAYS and LIBERTYS

There are other clues like components, best way is to pull the crankl and give it a look see for a date. I swear, it drives me nuts that you live right near me and your finding this stuff! You got to be doing something different than me, I'm not even comming close to anything near that good! later & PEACE!!!!!

Slick Rick said:
There are other clues like components, best way is to pull the crankl and give it a look see for a date. I swear, it drives me nuts that you live right near me and your finding this stuff! You got to be doing something different than me, I'm not even comming close to anything near that good! later & PEACE!!!!!
Well, these two are from Wisconsin. I literally have more in getting them here than I do in to the bikes. They are dirt cheap up there. I just had my Pops deliver 26 complete bikes from the 30's to the 60's.

okay I was just told they code out to both be 1941's. Hmmm. Now what to do. Anybody interested in making an offer? I like 'em a lot especially the Liberty but have so many projects and other bikes I want more. Maybe interesting frame- fork, tank projects. Cash. Just thinking out loud here. :|

Code out? How so? It was my understanding that pre 1948 ser. #'s were unavailable for Schwinn's due to a fire. Mind you' I'm not trying to tell you your wrong, just interested in your method. Also interested in what the rest of that 26 bike haul yielded! I know a collector here in Mesa that would probably love to deal with you on some of these items. As for myself extra (Real money)is hard to come by these days.But I would still love to see the haul and possibly put you in touch with some local collectors as I do happen to know a couple.Heck, who knows, perhaps there is a thing or two we could deal on.

Slick Rick said:
Code out? How so? It was my understanding that pre 1948 ser. #'s were unavailable for Schwinn's due to a fire. Mind you' I'm not trying to tell you your wrong, just interested in your method. Also interested in what the rest of that 26 bike haul yielded! I know a collector here in Mesa that would probably love to deal with you on some of these items. As for myself extra (Real money)is hard to come by these days.But I would still love to see the haul and possibly put you in touch with some local collectors as I do happen to know a couple.Heck, who knows, perhaps there is a thing or two we could deal on.

Yeah. Rarely do I go to the cabe. Twice actually in the last couple years BUT I am trying to find out what I have and thats what a member over there seems to be pretty sure of. I posted asking how he cam up with that number so we will see. Not a sure thing, for sure but it looks like it could work. Anyway I will posting the lot soon. I am always interested in horse trading or selling. Money doesn't necessarily appeal to me with bikes because thats when it starts becoming less than a hobby. I just want to have ways to express myself and cool rides at all time. I am always interested in horse trading so if you have something in mind throw it at me. Before I continue rambling let me stop. I have had a couple New Years drinks. and starting to feel pretty good.

My opinion is your dates are correct...both bikes are '41. The girls bike can be dated from the paint job. It's a DX, and the "wing foot" curly q's on the front of the frame came out in '41. Also, the painted bird wing chain guard was used on this year of DX.
The Liberty is a DX but doesn't look like a stock Schwinn offering since it has a braced truss fork. Chicago Cycle Supply probably ordered them this way. The bird wing chainguard is the giveaway on this one. If it's original to the bike it's the style they went to in '41 for the DX. The '39 and '40 DX had shorter and more plain guards. Also, on the boys bike, the serial number is close to a '41 Schwinn I have. I have H28926, which also happens to be a Speedway. Speedway and American Flyer were the names used by Louisville Cycle and Supply Co. It was owned by the Lipski family and was in business many years. They were a major Schwinn distributor for the SE USA. Gary

B607 said:
My opinion is your dates are correct...both bikes are '41. The girls bike can be dated from the paint job. It's a DX, and the "wing foot" curly q's on the front of the frame came out in '41. Also, the painted bird wing chain guard was used on this year of DX.
The Liberty is a DX but doesn't look like a stock Schwinn offering since it has a braced truss fork. Chicago Cycle Supply probably ordered them this way. The bird wing chainguard is the giveaway on this one. If it's original to the bike it's the style they went to in '41 for the DX. The '39 and '40 DX had shorter and more plain guards. Also, on the boys bike, the serial number is close to a '41 Schwinn I have. I have H28926, which also happens to be a Speedway. Speedway and American Flyer were the names used by Louisville Cycle and Supply Co. It was owned by the Lipski family and was in business many years. They were a major Schwinn distributor for the SE USA. Gary
Very cool. Thanks for the input. I feel much better about it with details like that.

Back