Daily mini build.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my daily bike:
IMG_20200423_190758.jpg

I took its rear 7 speed wheel for my bo entry, but I still need a daily (I would not want to leave one of my builds on the street unattended.
So I have an old 3sp torpedo, but if I don't find the shifter I might just run it in 3rd gear (at the no cable pull position).
I will probably replace the front end too, the front drum brake is weak and I have a wheel with a really good one.

And the most important is done, it's a rider:
IMG_20200517_212917.jpg

I will make better pic tomorrow. I took the fork with the front wheel and brake line + lever, the center stand, the chain tensioner from my ss bike. I will take the red housing from the original brake and use it for this brake. Might remove the lights since now the days are long and I don't ride after dark anymore. I have a new set of grips from the dollar shop, but still better than the foam. I also have to look for another brake lever, might have one better.

Last edited:
If that's a Dreigang then problem is solved :21: those shifters are super cheap

Yes, I have one of these f&s hubs too - the coaster braking is linked to the gears, so the strongest braking is in 1st gear, weakest in 3rd. I like them though :)
One day I want to upgrade my plastic shifter to one of the metal ones.

There is a trick to Sturmey-Archer and Sachs hubs on switching them to the lower gear while having no shifter i was taught in the Netherlands. You just have to get a spoke and screw it in the hub axle where the chain goes. Then just bend the spoke out the way it holds the selected gear against the nut body and cut the rest of the spoke. That way you are permanently on the lower gear if you want to ride it as a single-speed or just want to get to your garage to repair the shifter without pedaling too hard. This does not work with some models with a really small chain thread diameter, unless you find a really tiny spoke :)

I misplaced the shift rod out of a Shimano 333 hub and replaced it with an old spoke cut to length - shifted fine!

Well that escalated quickly. While I expected to only replace the rear wheel with the Sachs Torpedo Eingang (that ist german for "1 speed") the plan changed drastically.
First came the realization that I simply am not a 28" guy. My height is 1,74m and I hate the moment where I stop with the coaster brake and climb off the pedals thus every time risking getting a top tube in the junk. A rather apocalyptic scenario as you can probably imagine.
I must say though I put the wheelset on my ss bike - which has a cooler frame anyway because it can take a 635 wheel. Unfortunately said wheel desperately needs to be recentered after my good buddy fell with the bike down the cellar spiral stairwell.

So put the ss bike back together to use as a daily, ironically bringing it almost to its original look.
And this is what happens with the daily frame, which obviously is not a quick overnight build anymore.
I put a 26" wheelset on the 28" frame. So I have lower BB now but can still get a good leg extension.
IMG_20200526_212025.jpg

I have this sweet Post Moderne suspension seat post that works quite well (it was on this frame when I got it) and matched it to this Felt seat (which I got for 6,66):
IMG_20200524_210850.jpg

I think this there is something not quite right with that fork:
IMG_20200524_210923.jpg

But that's OK, it is just there so the wheels are together on the bike. I got a cool used older fork complete with a v brake for cheap at ebay and it should be here soon.
The rear hub is without any marks or logos:
IMG_20200524_210859.jpg

I have ordered non turn Shimano washers, just bought old style handlebars which I might flip. I need a coaster brake arm bracket, which I might just fabricate. I would like to get other pedals and tires, but they can wait, since I need to get some parts for the bo bike. A left hand brake lever would be nice, cause the original is a righty. I will use the original red cable housing for the brake.
This is of course not the stem I will use, it came with the bike.

Well today was a very good day for me. I had a wonderful morning, as I was leaving for work I found two small packages in the mailbox. By their size I deducted these are the 16t rear cog for my bo bike and the Shimano non turn washers for this project. Then at work I got a message that my fork was delivered and after this I "won" an auction at eBay for a nice suspension stem for my fully bike. I mean, I was the only one bidding. Then after work I went to help someone to replace an inner tube and they gave me 10 bucks out of gratitude, which I was quite surprised by. I don't think the lbs would have changed more, but he insisted so I took it.
Aaaand then I got home and started opening packages:
IMG_20200527_211114.jpg

A pretty SR Suntour T810 fork, which works fine and will look even nicer after I remove that sticker and clean it up. (And the washers, which for these dropouts are 5L and 5R.)
I really like the look:
IMG_20200527_211141.jpg

1", threaded, I checked the threading with a nut and it is without any damage. The only small problem is that I lack some thread - 5-10 mm.
I have not yet decided how to solve this. On another fork once I used a nut to gradually cut new thread, might do the same thing here.
I also "won" a set of handlebars yesterday which were shipped today.

Well today was a very good day for me. I had a wonderful morning, as I was leaving for work I found two small packages in the mailbox. By their size I deducted these are the 16t rear cog for my bo bike and the Shimano non turn washers for this project. Then at work I got a message that my fork was delivered and after this I "won" an auction at eBay for a nice suspension stem for my fully bike. I mean, I was the only one bidding. Then after work I went to help someone to replace an inner tube and they gave me 10 bucks out of gratitude, which I was quite surprised by. I don't think the lbs would have changed more, but he insisted so I took it.
Aaaand then I got home and started opening packages:
View attachment 122731
A pretty SR Suntour T810 fork, which works fine and will look even nicer after I remove that sticker and clean it up. (And the washers, which for these dropouts are 5L and 5R.)
I really like the look:
View attachment 122736
1", threaded, I checked the threading with a nut and it is without any damage. The only small problem is that I lack some thread - 5-10 mm.
I have not yet decided how to solve this. On another fork once I used a nut to gradually cut new thread, might do the same thing here.
I also "won" a set of handlebars yesterday which were shipped today.
LBS should be able to cut extra thread with a cutter for you, this way you won't destroy your nut and possibly the fork. Other solution i often use - cut the steerer tube in the middle, make it shorter and weld it back.

The LBS here will probably will tell me to buy a new fork or even better a new bike.
But I will give a call to a shop in the city that I had good experiences with - I had them build me wheels twice. I think they might be able and willing to do it.
I am curious what they'd charge. Scoring a 1" die in Europe might be tricky.

I called a shop and they told me the thread is being "rolled" on a fork and not cut with a die. So they would have a chaser, but not a die for the threads. If they used a die to cut more thread by taking material off the fork might break, he said.
What do you guys think about that?

Last edited:
So I could cut it then?
This is the torpedo bike:
IMG_20200531_123710.jpg

I found the shifter +pull rod. The problem is the cable stop and leads brackets - they are one size too much and I have lost the plastic shims they had installed. So what can I use then? Would rubber from an inner tube hold them in place?
Not sure how it ran LOL.
I had it on the flying Dutchman bike, but the flex of the frame made it change gears randomly. It is mostly naked cable that follows the frame.
I think I will run two front brakes, but the first I tried is very lacking and I, in a fit of idiocy, trying to do a thing as moronic as it can possibly get, disconnected the drum brake to try the side pull brake, which in order to be OK needs V brake pads.
The other idea was to use a second brake lever for a horn, you know the ones that you squeeze, but I think I will do it on the other frame.

Last edited:
Agreed. Technically, using a cutting die on on rolled threads does result in the grain structure at the valleys being cut...but we are talking a very small amount of material and a nearly negligible loss in strength. Whether rolled or cut, the resulting threads have to conform to the same standards.

Well I will see what I do with that fork. I will use a rigid fork for now.
IMG_20200623_200616.jpg
IMG_20200623_200626.jpg
IMG_20200623_200632.jpg

I have to connect the gear cable yet, and replace the front tire to the match the rear one. I have the grips from the new fully which are like 3/4 length and will probably use them here.

Latest posts

Back