Daddy Long Legs

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/araya-faux-class-wheels.112745/#post-1162210Chuy's Araya wheel build thread inspired me to dig mine out of storage n try to fix em again.
Nope, I'm still an idiot. Does anyone have a way to replace a spoke on the gear side of the hub without removing the gears?
Or, does anyone know how to remove a threaded freehub without any proper tools or skill? Maybe a chain whip and extractor has to go on the Xmas list. Thankfully, Ms Thundrrr rewards naughty

Last edited:
We'll, isn't Sheldon clever...
chain-vise.jpg

I don't have a vice either:headbang:

Maybe a chain whip and extractor has to go on the Xmas list. Thankfully, Ms Thundrrr rewards
Chain whip is pretty easy to make with scrap metal bar, old chain lengths, and a drill if you don't want to pay out of your tool budget.
They're not the most expensive tool though, I ended up just buying one

Try with long nose vice grips?

Get a vise before you get a chain whip
I'm eyeballing my Dad's. But I got other tools to swipe from him first. Maybe one in my father in law's old shop. Every time I visit, I leave with full pockets, but a bench vise is tough to sneak out:bandit:

I legitimately thought you would be building something like this given the title.
pl45zybbcol41.jpg

I really don't understand the purpose.
I think the idea might be to help you engage different muscles in your legs?

I assume the pedal doesn't spin in addition to the rotation of the the ring at the end of the crank.
So, while you're clipped in at the ball of your foot like normal, the axis of rotation is actually somewhere by your arch.
So if I make a model in my head and try to make it move... you would be using more of your thigh muscle on the downstroke, like when you slip your foot forward to the arch on a regular pedal, but because your arch is still unsupported like when you pedal with your foot ball your calf muscles are still engaged. Maybe?
I guess this could be a marginal gain.

I feel like there would be extra effort needed to not point your toes, though. So your slight mechanical advantage maybe eaten up by that.

Power Cranks were also a thing.

That's crazy, I had no idea.

Interesting Bike Radar review from 2010 on power cranks
https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/components/groupsets/cranksets/powercranks-x-lite-review/As long as it didn't put too much strain on smaller joints and tendons, it might actually be good on a trainer if you wanted to get at difficult to work on muscles. Whether working on building those secondary muscles actually improves your riding any more than just putting that extra time into building your main pedaling muscles, or even improves your riding to a noticeable degree.. who knows. Probably not.

@MattiThundrrr can you rename this thread 'Unusual drive train discussion' and start a new one for your build?

Latest posts

Back