Daddy Long Legs

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just kidding, let's call that inspiration. Unless I find a Stumpy to donate it's frame. Here's what you do. Download the above pic, print it out bike sized. Go to the local shop, pick up about six German tall boys, go to that neighborhood spot and give the guy some dollars for the magic in his hand. Consume enough of the Germans and the magic stuff to get you to the point where one eye ain't lining up, and the focus is all gone. Now look at the picture you printed. There it is, Daddy Long Legs.

Some things are so blatantly obvious that even an untrained observer will instantly recognize its purpose. This is not one of those things.

Here's why I stopped. Last thing of the day, let's get the stupid reflectors off the wheels.
View attachment 128494
SNAP!!! Now I need a spoke wrench, a spoke, and knowledge. Or new old wheels. But I like theses!
Arrgg, that sucks.
If you have one spoke that'll give way before the plastic reflector does you probably have multiple. Don't think you'll get away with just replacing the one :(

On the bright side, while you're rebuilding the wheels, it'll be much easier to polish those sweet rims up to a mirror finish :cool2:

Plus you'll have plenty of time for watching wheel building videos while the frame is at the powder coater.

I'm thinking I'll just replace the one broken one for now. Or see if whatever parts mess I find has decent wheels and schedule the rebuild of the Arayas for the winter. Powder coating will happen some time after he'll freezes over. If you've followed any of my builds, they never really finish, I just keep riding them and fixing things up as I go. Or never actually do anything to them, and they sit in pieces scattered around the counties. I have hopes to actually ride this one this year. That gives me until November. Tick tock

Oh goodness. Looking for a crank for this thing. What on earth have I stumbled across?
unnamed.jpg
pmp-cranks-2.jpg

But wait. It gets worse.
unnamed (1).jpg

My knees hurt just looking at that

Vintage MTB part purists might want to change the channel now...
The pedals I've got for Daddy LongLegs are Tiogas. Big chunky alloy body, nice axles (chromo?), really smooth bearings, so I wanna run em.
IMG_20200629_170109932.jpg

However, they've got all the tabs and loops for traps. Now I don't have a problem with clips and straps, if the rider next to me is using them, I'll hardly think they're a lunatic. But they're not for me. And I hate pedals that aren't two sided. Never want to have to think when putting a foot on. So it's grinding time! If I had thought about it I would've taken better before and during pics. I didn't. Here's the after pics.
IMG_20200717_163717781.jpg
IMG_20200717_163651282.jpg
IMG_20200717_163747721.jpg

Not sure whether I want to grind down the topside tabs, they're not in the way, but weight reduction is always good

Exactly. I want to showcase the versatility of the chromo diamond frame. My RockRat will be similar, but completely different. This one has stays that are a few cm longer, should be a stable platform.

One spoke missing is pretty minor I have seen and ridden down long steep country roads on wheels that should have definitely been completely thrown away. Centrifugal force is our friend in that regard. Just tighten up the two spokes next to the broken one a half turn or so with a Crescent Wrench, pliers, or channel locks. There now your wheel is straight. 1X6 is simple, remove 2 of the front chainrings and rock that ridiculous oval biopace weirdness. You’re welcome! :dance2:

Eff it. This is going nowhere. Won't get to it before spring, so I blasted it apart and stuffed everything in bags and on shelves. Kept the brakes on, headset cups in, and the bb/ crank are intact. Found a date on the fork, it's 1988. I was eleven when it was a baby

Latest posts

Back