BO15 Cyrus the Virus

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes the fix is just too darn easy. Before I ruin a good caliper I thought I would see if you guys can see a reason I shouldn't do this.

So the fix is as simple as a V-brake noodle. I would lose the cable adjustment, but there is still one on the brake lever. If I drill the hole that the adjuster went through at an angle and grind the edge of the caliper arm, I should have the clearance I need. If needed, I could epoxy the noodle in place.

The other nice thing about the noodle, it will allow me to direct inner cable away from the rim and toward the axle housing without having to deal with getting a tight bend on the outer brake cable housing.

View attachment 122054

Looking at that older pic of your calipers, that was my first thought.....will it fit without the barrel adjuster. Then you could just splice in an inline adjuster instead

I think I have my brackets figured out. Slightly oversized mounting holes and washers will give me all the adjustment I think I could possibly need.

Poster board mock up,

P5180148.jpg
P5180149.jpg

I also drilled one of the calipers for the noodle, it gave me about 1/4" of clearance, Then I hooked a cable and lever to test it, it works just fine.

Last edited:
Call me crazy, but this thing is so funky that the pink/magenta really works. That's my $.02
Was it you that said "great minds think alike"? Magenta is about my favorite color. I had a square body S-10 pained Candy Magenta fading to Purple (using a silver and blue base to make the colors), with Candy Inca Gold graphics.

The magenta is cool. I like the coppertone idea too. Baby blue would be cool too. I think I am partial to the yellow. With all the sharp, pointy pieces, I was thinking yellow and black like a big three wheeled bumblebee.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Green or orange for me...now add two wheels to front end.

Boy, it's getting hot outside!

I put a new roll of wire in my welder and fired it up. I think I found out why it was acting crazy, the knurled wheel that feeds the wire would skip. I cleaned it with a q-tip soaked in lacquer thinner, then fired it up while holding a hobby blade in the groove in case there was something jammed in there. I also went from whatever brand Ace Hardware sells, to Lincoln wire. It sure works much better!

I finally welded the sheet metal to close up the right side of the BB. Then I made some caliper mounts out of 3/4" x 1/8" angle iron. They seem to fit nicely, but I need to have the axle and hubs finished before I weld them in place. The freewheel hub needs to have a groove cut into it to flush mount the flange bearing. I will also get the ends of the axle turned down and threaded for nuts to hold the hubs.

P5200153.jpg

P5200154.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back