BO15 Cyrus the Virus

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must not be explaining this correctly as I'm seeing mounts with horizontal mounting holes. I need advice on the adapter that goes from the frame or fork mount to the caliper. Maybe a pic of my calipers might help.

Caliper.jpg

I found this pic that will explain the type of adapter I need. I need one like the right side illustration
Caliper  Adapter.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, ISO/Post Mount adapter, you meant, sorry. I misunderstood or misread.
This is what makes it difficult for me to get help, I really don't know much about bikes, let alone the proper terminology. But I am enjoying cutting the heck out of one and putting it back together my way!

I must be lucky today, I ran out of welding wire just as I put the last tack on my rear filler pieces. What are the odds of that happening?

These are often used and tend to work well - they attach to the axle and the two small holes are for a coaster brake type clamp (to attach to the fork leg), but they are probably designed for rotors 160-180mm.
View attachment 121036
Your 120mm rotors might be an issue because the pads would have to be 2-3cm closer to the axle. But you could just cut and reweld it to the needed length. Or so I think, not too savvy on disk brakes :rolleyes:
There is a bend so there might be a left and right side versions.
Those are the exact ones, that I'm using. On my electric bike the front one has a tendency to bend... maybe the speeds & weight have something to do with it... :39:

I must not be explaining this correctly as I'm seeing mounts with horizontal mounting holes. I need advice on the adapter that goes from the frame or fork mount to the caliper. Maybe a pic of my calipers might help.

View attachment 121037

I found this pic that will explain the type of adapter I need. I need one like the right side illustrationView attachment 121038.

The one on the right is basically a standard adapter, or so we call them that in PL. The one on the left in 9 of 10 cases that I have seen is replaced with bushings/washers.

Well, I looked around ebay and bought two of the smallest caliper adapters I could find. I guess next week I'll know if I screwed up or not.

In the meantime I found a way to center the rotors so the hubs could be drilled and tapped. When I sat the rotor over the hub it looked like if I got longer bolts that attach it to the rim, put them on from the other side, and lined up the nuts, it centered the rotor. I used 3 layers of masking tape to hold it snugly and started drilling.

P5120133.JPG

Bolted up and ready to stop.

P5120134.JPG

Last edited:
Great work stretching out the nanner pans!!!
That frame just keeps getting sexier!

The axle tube situation has been fixed. The seat stays were cut and trimmed back, a ratchet strap was placed on both sides of the axle tube and around the seat post, then pulled into place and rewelded. It's MUCH better now. The seat pan has been run through a shrinker and stretcher to get the curve I wanted.

P5140139.jpg

I was also given this old Razor to play with. The motor works, I just need to find a schematic for the controller to see what else I might need other than the throttle. The controller is a HB3650TYD-FS if anyone can help.
P5140135.jpg
P5140136.jpg
P5140137.jpg

P5140144.JPG

If I can get this motor and controller working, I'm thinking of adding another freewheel adapter to the left of the one in there now, with a single speed freewheel to run to the motor. Does anyone see why this wouldn't work?

Drilled and tapped the other hub for the rotor. It's starting to look like something.

P5140140.jpg
P5140141.jpg

Last edited:
I've had good luck with my two bottom bracket conversion kits. The smoothness and flexibility of the three piece crank options is also a plus.

That's good to know.

Seeing as I'm not the best welder, I was afraid to buy a threaded BB and mess it up while welding it in.

Why is it the part you need the most is always the one that gets delayed in shipping?:mad: I wanted to get my rear brake mounts done this weekend, but the adapters are stuck somewhere in California. The virus strikes again! I guess I'll work on mounting my seat instead, it's the only thing I can do until parts show up.

Time to solve another problem. I just tried to fit my calipers and the cable end/adjuster doesn't clear the rim. I might need to cut a notch and have it Tig welded.

While I ponder this, lets finally come up with a way to make the rear seat mounts. I've been trying to come up with a good looking mount with rod or tubing for a week or two. Well, it winds up I was trying to use the wrong materials, flat stock is what it needs. This is my proposed idea, I think it goes well with the rest of the frame/

P5180147.jpg

Last edited:
Sometimes the fix is just too darn easy. Before I ruin a good caliper I thought I would see if you guys can see a reason I shouldn't do this.

So the fix is as simple as a V-brake noodle. I would lose the cable adjustment, but there is still one on the brake lever. If I drill the hole that the adjuster went through at an angle and grind the edge of the caliper arm, I should have the clearance I need. If needed, I could epoxy the noodle in place.

The other nice thing about the noodle, it will allow me to direct inner cable away from the rim and toward the axle housing without having to deal with getting a tight bend on the outer brake cable housing.

P5180146.jpg

I got the brake adapters, they don't fit. My fault for not knowing. I think I will try to make my own mounts. I'm sure I'll need some advice!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back