BO15 Cyrus the Virus

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of the details are coming out nice. Those fenders are gonna be tricky to support, but cool for sure!!

My grips came today. I'm going to order another set, and use the two with the set screws for my grips, the two with the throttle parts will be cut down to make my shift knob, and part of the cover for the shifter.

Grips.jpg

Sexy

What do you do when someone offers you a set of fenders, you say Thank you!

I would like to build them myself, but it just makes more sense to use these as I don't have to wait on shipping, plus time is running out, also,,,,,,,,,,FREE!!!! The radius is very close to what I need, I just need to split them and add a few inches, then cut them to shape.

P7110326.jpg

Last edited:
Marked the centers of the fenders and added a tape guideline.

P7120327.jpg

Cut them in half using an .040 cut off wheel on the 4.5" angle grinder.

P7120329.jpg

Cut two 2" strips of 16 gauge, then welded them in.

P7130330.jpg
P7130331.jpg
P7130332.jpg

The radius is a little off of what the tire needs, but luckily, I'm making them so short, it won't be noticed. I'll be cutting them back to match the template, but I'm uncertain on the front as these fenders have a different profile which might not work design-wise.

P7130333.jpg
P7130334.jpg

Last edited:
Dang it's hot out!

I marked out the design on both fenders with 1/4" masking tape, then shot some paint on it, then pulled the tape to have a permanent mark.

P7140335.jpg

First one with a rough cut using the angle grinder with a cut-off wheel.

P7140336.jpg

Second one cut

P7140338.jpg

Left over parts.

P7140337.jpg

One cleaned up a bit with a flap wheel.

P7140339.jpg
P7140340.jpg
P7140341.jpg

At this point the sweat was blocking my view, as a puddle was forming on my goggles. It was time to go inside and cool off.

I'm happy with the shape so far and have some ideas for mounting them.

Between the heat and doing projects for others, there hasn't been much progress. I've been trying to figure out which method I want to use to mount the fenders and have them be somewhat strong along with looking nice. I decided to try some 3/8" tubing for the braces.

The first two pieces were bent and cut to shape.

P7190346.jpg

Tacked in place on the fenders.

P7190347.jpg
P7190348.jpg

Working on the frame part of the fender mounts. This consists of four 10-24 couplers, four 1/2" spacers and four 10-24 screws, and a length of 10-24 all thread.

P7190349.jpg

The first step was to lock two of the couplers on to the all thread and round them off on the bench grinder. This will allow them to fit inside the spacers.

P7190350.jpg

After grinding the end of one of the couplers to fit flush to the axle housing (the coupler on the back mounts to the rear brace which isn't square to the axle housing), I threaded them on to the housing.

P7190351.jpg

Next was welding them in place. The fender braces will get welded to the spacers once I have everything aligned. I hope they will flex enough to slide them in place once everything is welded.

P7190352.jpg

A third mount will be needed to keep the fenders from moving side to side. I'll figure that one out once I have these buttoned up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back