CWC Roadmaster Help Please

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this Road Master a few months ago and I would like to know what year it was built if possible. I've been thru a few different threads here and at the cabe and still not real sure. It has Torrington bars and New Departure Model D rear hub. The seals over the bearings on the bottom bracket appear to be leather. It's hard to read the stamping on the seat cover but I believe it is Persons.

A couple of side notes; Tires are Firestone ''High Speed''. I don't know if they are original but are in very good condition and hold air. The bike was spray painted but a gentle steel wool buffing is revealing a maroon base, white trim with orange pin stripes. Right now plans are just to clean, service, and tune and ride it like it is. Any help on age and other details is greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

IMG_1243.JPG

IMG_0132.JPG
IMG_0136.JPG

IMG_0137.JPG

Very nice bike!

It looks very much like the 46/47 CWC I had a few years ago. I didn't get the original back rim, but the front was original and had the same pinstripe only more weathered. I think your rear rack was added, the bikes with racks only used one fender brace, the basic ones like mine used 2 of the curved braces on the rear. The dogleg cranks and chain guard are the same also as are the handlebars and stem. My frame and forks were repainted also. I had no original paint left, hopefully you can bring the maroon back, that's the color mine showed on the inside of the bb. Serial was J99xxx, but I don't think they followed a sequence. I sold the chain guard and added 3G copper 57mm wheels and a copper backing plate to the cranks. That's the original seat also, just recovered.
"Coppertooth"
coppertooth 005 - Copy.JPG

Nice bike. Can you check to see if your hubs are chrome? The curved front bar seems post war, as Wildcat said. I have a '39 Roadmaster best riding bike I have! Clean it, grease it and ride the wheels off!

Thanks Guys!

Copper Tooth turned out very nice Wildcat, I like how the rusty finish turned out and have considered doing something similar if I cannot save enough of the paint to be worthwhile. Please share how you achieved that if you don't mind.

I suspected mine might be slightly post-war due to the stamped chain and seat stays to the drop outs. I look forward to fixin her up :)

The bike came with that thick brown paint. The previous owner stripped it to bare metal, then no primer just laid on a few coats of brown. There's no rust on it. I was going to repaint it, but it looked good just cleaned up and waxed, with the copper wheels of course.

Coopertooth looks very nice with the brown paint, Very appropriate for this bike, The cooper wheels and trim go well with the brown. Still looks like an old bike but with tasteful updates.

Here's a few more photos;

IMG_0142.JPG
IMG_0143.JPG
IMG_0144.JPG

I think this bike was inside most of its life, The seat cover is in good shape for its age. Very little or no rust, I actually kind wish it had some rust for character:21:

That is a sweet bike. Amazing seat too. The chrome hubs reassure the 46-47 bike.
My 39 Roadmaster has patina coming out it's ears... No paint at all, lol

So happy hunting for you 3 gill if you happen across a 4 gill let me know! Would love to add one to mine.

Latest posts

Back