Cut, chop, shuffle, let's see what happens!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a bad idea Chad T, didn't think of that one. A lot of the motorized bike guys use double cable levers, that would make things even easier. Definitely something to take into consideration.

Love how the hub/brake setup turned out. Double cable lever would be easier but it's nice having 2 levers for balance +you have one for each hand and double the power if you need it.

Great work on this!

IMG_0529.JPG

First two coats of primer are on the frame. Body filler and final primer will be coming next.

IMG_0532.JPG
IMG_0530.JPG
IMG_0533.JPG
The inside of the wheel is painted, next step is polishing the spoke face. I couldn't resists removing some paint to polish a small spot. No wet sanding, just a quick polish, it's going to be amazing. A mirror finish is very doable. I polished on crank arm as well, it looks very nice. This is the part of the build that gets exciting.

Yep, the cosmetic touches along with design are the first thing many people see / qualify on a high vote getter. That, and the all-important Final Photo....placement, angle, setting, lighting, mood, atmosphere...

After looking at the sh*t show that is the rear fender, I've decided to go a different route. The idea I have in mind is actually the first idea I had. I don't know why I went another direction. My inspiration is one of my favorite motorcycles, although I don't think it actually exists. It appears on the Meat Loaf "Bat Out of heck 3" album cover.
gjKsn78.jpg

I have red LED strips, I want to place one under each scale, I'm thinking 3 total like in the picture. When I decided to join the build-off, I told myself I was going to push my limits. Changing the feel of the entire bike with 2 weeks left in the build should do the trick.

Love that frame!
Time to switch gearz to the Dragon Wagon!

A trailer fender is what I had in mind. Tractor Supply has plenty, and there is an All Pro trailer store 2 miles from work, so I should be able to get one today. I doubt I'll find one 12" wide like I need, but widening 2-3" should be easy enough. Dragon Wagon has a nice ring to it, but my wife has named it Fat-Bottomed Girl.

Nice fat fender!

IMG_0544.JPG

Started smoothing the body filler. This is taking a little longer than expected. Most of my welds were passable, and could have done without filler. Some, however, were horrible, and needed it. Me being the perfectionist I am, I decided to do every joint. That deadline is hovering very close overhead, there will be a few long nights in my future.

IMG_0548.JPG
Tonight feels like I got a lot accomplished. Frame is primed and ready for paint. I'm going to go gloss black, but I'm going to try and put just a tiny amount of red metallic in there. I'm talking "oh s**t overspray!" amount of flake. Just enough to be seen in direct sunlight. I'm glad I decided to fill the joints, it looks very tidy.

Latest posts

Back