Cut, chop, shuffle, let's see what happens!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are exactly right Dr. Tankenstein. I contacted the retailer today (1 week after placing the order), and they said it could take another week and a half. So many online stores are offering free shipping, but I'd rather pay $10 and get it within a months time. Fortunately I have plenty of other parts to focus on. I originally wanted to go with an open rear wheel, but I think I'm going to build a fender. I have a few sets of 3G full fenders hanging around that will go under the knife. I plan on chopping one in half lengthwise, then placing sheet steel in the middle to fit the width of the wheel.
ySjFw8u.jpg

The flair at the end of the fender will fit well with the lines of the frame. I'm still working on the paint scheme, seeing some color on there is getting the wheels turning

Last edited:
This photobucket ordeal has me upset, but maybe it will work out better in the end. Besides, I'm finally a "pro", at least you guys show me some respect. I'm going to try a post and see if I can upload some pics. I chopped the fender in half last night, and started to stretch it out across the tire. It didn't work so well. The circumference of the tire is different from the fender, its bulging and doesn't look right.
YdWpfDj.jpg

Instead I'm going to go with a fiberglass fender. It actually may be made out of fabric wetted with epoxy resin, but it will all amount to the same results. I formed a mold around the wheel using foam and duct tape. Very low buck, but it should do the trick.
MvcKiPh.jpg

I cant seem to get upload media to my page, so I opened an Imgur account, working well so far. I will have to take some time and re-upload all my previous pics.

That fender mold idea worked well. Your pics are working well too! You're on a 'roll'...! :thumbsup:

Great idea on the fender.
Photobucket's shakedown sucks!

I started work on the headlamp the other night. I was going to go with a motorcycle headlamp, but it seemed a little too big for the front of the bike. I found a vintage bicycle headlamp that looked like it would work. I removed the lens and reflector, and the new projector lens fit inside perfectly.
OXKQy2d.jpg

I removed the new reflector and cut to fit inside the bucket of the headlamp.
k9gXEda.jpg

As far as power for the head and tail lamps, I solved that problem too. I wanted to use a small rechargeable battery pack, but the 12 volt packs are too expensive and too large. I found a USB step-up transformer for 5 volt cell phone power banks. For test purposes, I wired the headlamp bulb to constant on to see how long the charge lasts. The power bank was fully charged 3 months ago, it ran the headlamp for 20 minutes. A fresh full charge should be more than enough.
3g8OSxM.jpg

Cool idea on the power supply. Another innovation for using vintage lights. Seems like you are staying busy waiting for that rear hub assembly....

My 4th was spent mostly by myself. No cookouts, just garage time, and ice cream with the wife in the evening. I got a lot of stuff accomplished. I finished the rear hub assembly, and came up with another way to clamp the centering cone. It should make it much easier to center, and tighten down more securely.
Z658IAP.jpg

I then disassembled an old freewheel to rob some sprockets. The center of the sprocket will be filled, then 6 holes drilled to mount on the disc brake side of the jack shaft.
BYLoVWI.jpg

The chain line looks like it will work out perfectly.
15flTse.jpg

The bottom bracket is in place, and the crank is installed to mock up the front chain line. I installed the crank with the drive side on the left to offset the width of the rear wheel.
kWfro9Q.jpg

I will have to install a roller to help the chain clear the twin tubes. I plan on making it adjustable to act as a tensioner as well.

The jackshaft sprocket is installed and spaced out to where I want it. It looks like everything will clear by just a hair. Still figuring out the caliper mount situation. I'm a little worried, this is a whole lotta bike, will on disc brake be enough? All of the aluminum has got me thinking about colors. I'm thinking basic black for the frame, with maybe just a hint of metallic flakes, just enough to be seen in direct sunlight.
ymr3A0a.jpg

That IS a lot of bike to stop with one brake. But how fast do you think you'll go? 15MPH, lot of bike to stop. 5-8MPH, one brake might work well.

True, I don't expect to move that quickly, but a slight downhill and it may pick up some speed. The front fork has cantilever mounts, so I can always use those as a backup

Was thinking of that, but didn't know if you wanted to run a front cable.

This is getting better and better. Love the way you're rigging up that hub. You could also ad another caliper, cable and lever to that same rotor to double the power. That wheel could have some inertia if it gets spinning.

Latest posts

Back