Crunchy's Lil' Brother Tweaker

Discussion in 'BUILT FROM SCRATCH' started by tjwilson, Apr 23, 2019.

1. tjwilson

tjwilson Pro Member

More of a revision than a build...

As a break from some of the tedious finish work on ECHO I made some quick, down and dirty revisions to Nautilus for this riding season. Nautilus never seamed right to me. To rough to be what I think of as a stretched cruiser, to long to be a rough bobber. The color always bothered me too. Looked like it was made of wood. Plus, the ride was sluggish and it suffered from a heavy back end. And, I could never get the chain to stop from rubbing the guard!

Guard removal, a couple cuts and re-welds, different seat, a spray of black, and pass at different handlebars. I'm much happier with it (for now). Definitely a better ride and it will actually stop without foot-drag assist. Hopefully some more of the existing rust will start to poke through the new black soon.

The before:
    01_beachedBobber_sideview.jpg

2. tjwilson

tjwilson Pro Member

In-process

02_shorterWheelBaseInProcess.jpg

03_rearDropoutPreCut.jpg

04_markedUpForCut.jpg

05_dropoutsCut.jpg

06_clampedForWeldup.jpg

07_dropoutReweld.jpg

08_markupForTrim.jpg

09_brakePosts.jpg

10_brakePostWeldup.jpg

11_brakePostsAndBraceReweld.jpg

RustyGold, toro1978 and LukeTheJoker like this.
  3. tjwilson

tjwilson Pro Member

4. Brian macumber

Brian macumber

The new look is awesome. I have that same headlight I picked up at the flea market do you know anything about it like year?

tjwilson likes this.
  5. Chad T

Chad T

Looking good. Smart move with the v-brake but you might need a linear pull lever to get the most out of it.

tjwilson likes this.
  6. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

Looks good, liking the higher rear ride height, it suits it.

tjwilson likes this.
  7. toro1978

toro1978

Now that is just awesome front end. I like those vintage german brake levers. And the "swan neck" lamp holder with the old headlight is great. I love how well those stems integrate with the fork into a whole unit. The grips area great finishing touch.
    I remember this build vivdly. What are those wheels again, 24 in the rear and 28 in the front?

tjwilson likes this.
  8. tjwilson

tjwilson Pro Member

Thanks. My lights came off a ‘72 Schwinn Collegiate, along with the cranks, sprocket, and front tire & rim. The generator markings say “Schwinn Approved” and “Made in Germany”. I think the lights and generator were sold as one of the accessories available through Schwinn dealers.

9. tjwilson

tjwilson Pro Member

Thanks and thank you for the lever suggestion. I grabbed the old Weinmann lever for looks rather than function. It was an improvement over the previous set-up but, I just swapped out the lever for a linear pull one and it made a huge difference. I can actually skid with it now. Nice since it only has one brake.

LukeTheJoker and Chad T like this.
  10. tjwilson

tjwilson Pro Member

Thanks. I think I was just trying to go in two directions at the same time with it originally.

LukeTheJoker likes this.
  11. tjwilson

tjwilson Pro Member

Thank you. I like those levers too but the linear pull lever really woke the brakes up. The tire rear is a 24x3 Innova, the front is an odd Schwinn size: 26x1-3/8x1-1/4.