Cruisin in Austin

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly can't get out on a bike as much as I used to, but I still try and I still have fun doing it.

Here are some of the cruisin adventures I've had so far:

When I first got here in July it was in the middle of a long streak of 100+ degree days, but I couldn't wait to cruise in the fresh Texas air. A friend from college was in town for the week and he suggested we rent bikes and cruise the lake trail near downtown.

rented a bike on my 3rd day in Austin by Joey Mac, on Flickr
We rented bikes from Barton Springs Bike Rental

old friend Travis was in town by Joey Mac, on Flickr
simple single speed cruisers

Downtown Austin by Joey Mac, on Flickr

What I learned from this ride, is that Austin is way more hilly than I had expected, and also that I should pace myself when riding bikes in 103 degree weather, I suffered some mild heat exhaustion. Still worth the ride though.

A couple weeks later I bought this from Mellow Johnny's Bike Shop (Lance Armstrong's shop)

my first ever BRAND NEW BIKE by Joey Mac, on Flickr

as you can tell from the caption it's my first ever brand new bike, and I love it. Lightweight aluminum, plus 7 gears.
I only wish that the gear clustering was more towards the low end instead of the high end, I only get it into 6 or 7 when going downhill and going uphill always wish that there was something between 1 and 2. I might swap out the gears sometime.

me on my brand new bike. by Joey Mac, on Flickr
the first thing I did was go back and conquer the lake trail again. much easier with gears.

on a ped bridge by Joey Mac, on Flickr
over the lake

I did a bit of riding around town when I could

simple 7 by Joey Mac, on Flickr

cruising to zilker park by Joey Mac, on Flickr
It was perfect for riding to the "Blues on the Green" free concert series at Zilker Park

I joined a couple group rides here too.

at the top of the hill by Joey Mac, on Flickr
This was on the midnight moonlight ride in September. I was the only cruiser that made it to the top of the first hill.

they say everything's bigger in texas:

everything's bigger in texas by Joey Mac, on Flickr

This one was a different ride a couple months ago:

thursday night social ride by Joey Mac, on Flickr

this guy on the social ride had this party cruiser:

party cruiser by Joey Mac, on Flickr
it had lasers on the front, a disco ball hanging in the back from the tall sissy bar, and some bangin stereo speakers.

the giant simple 7 and the capitol by Joey Mac, on Flickr

cruisin for coffee by Joey Mac, on Flickr

I might customize this cruiser at some point, but it's fun riding a new stock bike for a change. I'll update y'all as I have more adventures here in this wonderful bikeable city!

That Gwar shirt just sets the tone.
I wonder how many other members here know
who Gwar is ? Never been to Austin, but live 50 miles
from Dallas. I'm also a Texas transplant moved here from
Spokane, WA for work. It sure is nice not shoveling snow
to get out the door to go to work. :mrgreen:

I love Austin and spent my vacation there last fall. I have a Brotherinlaw who lives there and about a mile from Barton Springs. Came to see the A.C.L. and to ride around on one of my cruisers. Heres some pic's

DSC02513.jpg

DSC02512.jpg

Bike parking at the A.C.L.

DSC02500.jpg

DSC02511.jpg

The springs

DSC02514.jpg

A.C.L.

DSC02488.jpg

Latest posts

Back