Creative truss rod ideas?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made these from threaded stock.
p3hb.jpg

p3i.jpg

P3j.jpg

I used bmx axle adjusters threaded into threaded connectors on the wheel ends. The top clamp is made from an old stem I cut apart and decorated with a badge from the local craft store jewelry section. I sheathed the entire truss rod with 1/4 " clear vinyl tubing, which really improved how it looked.

I just found a couple of thown away lawn watering rigs with some alum. tubing frames bent in a biggish u-shape (like a mini sissybar). I pulled them off quick and they look like they can mock up truss rods fairly easy and already have some bend. The ideas presented here gave me inspiration to start looking at stuff in a new way; thanx guys!

gcrank1 said:
I just found a couple of thown away lawn watering rigs with some alum. tubing frames bent in a biggish u-shape (like a mini sissybar). I pulled them off quick and they look like they can mock up truss rods fairly easy and already have some bend. The ideas presented here gave me inspiration to start looking at stuff in a new way; thanx guys!

Hey gcrank1, show us! Pictures! :lol:

I just KNOW I have to come up to speed on pics!, but I am old school enough that 'ludite' fits. My wife is more of the techie, though I usually am the one to walk through instructions. We do have a digital camera and this Apple so there is hope for me yet :wink: .
On these sprinkler bars, they are a u shape, one leg is straight up to the U top with a closed screw on tip already, the other leg has a dogleg in it that probably keeps it from use. If the U is cut right at top center the one 'good' leg makes it well up the frame neck from the axel and would emulate a heavy duty truss rod (good for looks but no real truss effect), having two I can maybe make it look like the real deal.. If nothing else the stock may be useful for a number of bits.

old schwinn bracket, 5/16 brake line, 5/16 wooden dowels that have been stained and shaved down, and 3/8 battery terminals. I had to copy the previous idea. looks so nice. :mrgreen:

IMAG0329.jpg

IMAG0328.jpg

IMAG0327-1.jpg

IMAG0331-1_28_2012-03-06_18-59-24_443.png

I just got aluminum tubes and bent them with pipe benders to match a set of Schwinn truss rods I had. I also used an old Schwinn bracket to bolt it to the headtube.
After I bent them and cut them to shape, I smashed the ends and drilled a hole for the axle. Then I polished them to look like chrome. I should probably clear them but I'm too lazy.
rod2.jpg

rod1.jpg

jagnew2.jpg

Ratfink1962 said:
jaysmo said:
iv heard of car break lines being used never seen them done but i heard....

here you go...

029.jpg

made these from brake lines sourced from Auto-Zone, cost all of $8
I was able to tap threads in the upper section so that it bolts right in, the lower part that attaches to the fork was flattened carefully then drilled. After the fab work was done I polished them as best I could and then clearcoated so they wouldnt rust.

Are those brake lines steel or aluminum? I'm going with the rust look on the bicycle I'm working on and would rather have a rusty truss rod then a shinny aluminum one. What style truss rod bracket did you use to connect it to the downstem? Is that something I can find on eBay? Great looking bicycle btw.

its steel line, but it appeared to be coated with something... wasnt hard to sand it off and polish it up.

I just used an original upper bracket with the two ears. Im not sure I have a pic of just the bracket, but Ive also made some out of reflector brackets too.

Im sure eBay would have some... if not, Im sure someone here has a spare for sale.

here you go...

029.jpg

made these from brake lines sourced from Auto-Zone, cost all of $8
I was able to tap threads in the upper section so that it bolts right in, the lower part that attaches to the fork was flattened carefully then drilled. After the fab work was done I polished them as best I could and then clearcoated so they wouldnt rust.
Clean work!
What type of bracket are you using or what did you make to bolt them up by the stem area?

Here's some I made up. A friend laser-cut out the brackets- loosely copied the ones on my Colson Flyer. I used cold rolled steel-3/8" that was zinc coated-( cost about $4 for 3 feet)I threaded the ends and topped them with acorn nuts that cost as much as the rods did!
.I modified the style to be able to mount the headlight.I have several sets available in the "For Sale" section.
Fred

WIN_20160204_16_57_21_Pro.jpg
WIN_20170421_11_55_59_Pro.jpg

Latest posts

Back