Creative truss rod ideas?

Discussion in 'HOW TO' started by jackdaw, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Bigcam59

Bigcam59

I made these from threaded stock.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I used bmx axle adjusters threaded into threaded connectors on the wheel ends. The top clamp is made from an old stem I cut apart and decorated with a badge from the local craft store jewelry section. I sheathed the entire truss rod with 1/4 " clear vinyl tubing, which really improved how it looked.

ZygoteLittle and Scribble like this.
  2. jaysmo

jaysmo

wow that looks great cam...i like the bracket tight and close the head tube...
    thanks

3. jackdaw

jackdaw

Sweet! Awesome idea on the top end. Very clean. It looks cool with that tubing over the threading. Thanks for the post.

4. gcrank1

gcrank1

I just found a couple of thown away lawn watering rigs with some alum. tubing frames bent in a biggish u-shape (like a mini sissybar). I pulled them off quick and they look like they can mock up truss rods fairly easy and already have some bend. The ideas presented here gave me inspiration to start looking at stuff in a new way; thanx guys!

5. jackdaw

jackdaw

Hey gcrank1, show us! Pictures! :lol:

6. gcrank1

gcrank1

I just KNOW I have to come up to speed on pics!, but I am old school enough that 'ludite' fits. My wife is more of the techie, though I usually am the one to walk through instructions. We do have a digital camera and this Apple so there is hope for me yet :wink: .
    On these sprinkler bars, they are a u shape, one leg is straight up to the U top with a closed screw on tip already, the other leg has a dogleg in it that probably keeps it from use. If the U is cut right at top center the one 'good' leg makes it well up the frame neck from the axel and would emulate a heavy duty truss rod (good for looks but no real truss effect), having two I can maybe make it look like the real deal.. If nothing else the stock may be useful for a number of bits.

7. jackdaw

jackdaw

That sounds cool man. I'll have to keep my eye out for something like that. The technical stuff does get easier.

8. jackdaw

jackdaw

Sweet. It does lay that angle back a little. Looks good at the hub too, cuz' there's a little more going on.

9. jaysmo

jaysmo

+1 those look real nice on there.

10. dodododa

dodododa

old schwinn bracket, 5/16 brake line, 5/16 wooden dowels that have been stained and shaved down, and 3/8 battery terminals. I had to copy the previous idea. looks so nice. :mrgreen:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scribble likes this.
  11. KickBackCycles

KickBackCycles

I just got aluminum tubes and bent them with pipe benders to match a set of Schwinn truss rods I had. I also used an old Schwinn bracket to bolt it to the headtube.
    After I bent them and cut them to shape, I smashed the ends and drilled a hole for the axle. Then I polished them to look like chrome. I should probably clear them but I'm too lazy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scribble likes this.
  12. acharles331

acharles331

Are those brake lines steel or aluminum? I'm going with the rust look on the bicycle I'm working on and would rather have a rusty truss rod then a shinny aluminum one. What style truss rod bracket did you use to connect it to the downstem? Is that something I can find on eBay? Great looking bicycle btw.

13. Ratfink1962

Ratfink1962

its steel line, but it appeared to be coated with something... wasnt hard to sand it off and polish it up.

I just used an original upper bracket with the two ears. Im not sure I have a pic of just the bracket, but Ive also made some out of reflector brackets too.

Im sure eBay would have some... if not, Im sure someone here has a spare for sale.

14. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

Anything done with rebar and I am a fan...

Just screams heavy duty rat rod...

Luke.

15. mastronaut

mastronaut

I think you have a new fangled kickstand there... :D

[​IMG]

16. QuickSand

QuickSand

Clean work!
    What type of bracket are you using or what did you make to bolt them up by the stem area?

17. Gdcast

Gdcast

100% homemade. Aluminium rod, front basket mount, flattened.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

toro1978, ZygoteLittle and Nagant like this.
  18. us56456712

us56456712

The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
    Cold rolled steel rod, threaded the ends, put on chrome acorn nuts with axle washers welded onto the end. I used two car batteries, jumper cables and vice grips for my ghetto welding outfit for this project.
    [​IMG]

19. El C

El C

Don´t hang me but I´ve never liked truss rods, they make the front look too heavy (sort of unbalanced).

20. ferdy

ferdy

Here's some I made up. A friend laser-cut out the brackets- loosely copied the ones on my Colson Flyer. I used cold rolled steel-3/8" that was zinc coated-( cost about $4 for 3 feet)I threaded the ends and topped them with acorn nuts that cost as much as the rods did!
    .I modified the style to be able to mount the headlight.I have several sets available in the "For Sale" section.
    Fred

WIN_20160204_16_57_21_Pro.jpg WIN_20170421_11_55_59_Pro.jpg