Craigslist nightmares and dreams...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've rarely ever broke even on ladies bikes. In fact now I look at them all as parts bikes but surprisingly I did resell one women's frame that I had bought to build my girl but she isn't into biking so it had to go. Got lucky and got my $40 back out of it but that was only because it had its tank.

Around here flipping bikes is hit & miss, I've had a couple MTB flip well but most I'm lucky to brake even. Same to be said with every bike type really.
Old late 70s-early 80s bmx bikes & parts seem to go well this time of year tho as there's a big race track here and people come from other states. I guy was here the other day and traded me a bunch of stuff for a old tagiai crank (I'm sure I am spelling that wrong)

I recently sold an old Sears Free Spirit that I bought for $ 20, dropped another $ 35 into it and sold for $ 120. Have a vintage Huffy sportsman that I am getting ready to list. The trick for this or any other bike is to buy cheap, buy parts in bulk, and pick up cheap rear racks or baskets and slap them on to the bike.
Here is a copy of the Free Spirit before:

And after:

I recently sold an old Sears Free Spirit that I bought for $ 20, dropped another $ 35 into it and sold for $ 120. Have a vintage Huffy sportsman that I am getting ready to list. The trick for this or any other bike is to buy cheap, buy parts in bulk, and pick up cheap rear racks or baskets and slap them on to the bike.

Doesn't work that way here.
I can get a bike for free and put $30 into it plus make it look super clean & shiny even add extras like racks and I'm lucky if I get my money back unless I get lucky that somebody really wants it.
On Craigslist here its annoying because some of the bikes are up for months because people don't want to pay the asking price unless its basicly giving it away. There are exceptions with some vintage bikes but even some of those don't go well (there's been a 66 huffy in very nice original condition for a month now for $60, it I was looking to buy another it grab it up buy I already have a ratty huffy almost the same)

Timing of buying and selling is also important. Right now is a buyers market. Middle of summer and kids getting ready to go back to school so no one is really looking to buy right now. Picked up some really cheap bikes that I will be working on. There are a lot of them on the Houston CL right now.I will list them when the weather turns a little cooler. I'm not making a killing but I am making a couple of bucks here and there.

Here is a copy of the Huffy Sportsman that was just finished up. Having a heck of time trying to figure the year on it. I think it is a mid 60's model but am not for sure. Nice chrome fenders and a leather seat. Put new rim strips tubes, tires, cables and grips. Tuned the shifter and put a $ 5 basket on it. Should go for between $ 120 and $ 150.

Here in the greater Houston area, I will get a decent price for it. I have sold uglier bikes for that and more. It's all in the sales pitch my friend. May take a while, but I will get it. :)

I travel a lot and always hit up the local CL for bargains. i have a buddy who is really into collectible stuff like old gas station signs and such. I will pick stuff up for him and he returns the favor. I have gotten some of my better bikes and good prices by going to out of the way places. I picked up the Free Spirit in a barn in Sherman, TX for $ 20.

Agree. It is a $ 40 bike, but it does have value. The 3 speed internal hub is worth $ 40 alone on Ebay.

Is the seat high enough? :dance2:
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/bik/4612319587.html

nwFc4Zo.png

Latest posts

Back