Craigslist nightmares and dreams...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone in Holland, michigan?
this is a sweet deal : http://holland.craigslist.org/bik/4584805265.html

Sent From The Inside of my Head

Yes agreed. So wish it was close to me. There are a few better quality bikes in the mix. Saw a cantilever brake mens bike in the center back row of the 2nd pic. Looks like lots of department store bikes in various disrepair but definitely some deals at $5 each.

This one's really rare.:rolleyes:
"Rare Find - Vintage All Chrome Genuine Low Rider 20" Bicycle"
00404_1W57fLYlhbd_600x450.jpg

"the rims and many of the spokes are in poor condition - it has been stored for many years and they didn't protect the wheels from corrosion - it will need new rims and spokes"

"$500 Cash or best serious offers may be considered - don't waste my time with bullcrap offers, I only delete them..."
http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/bid/4590757034.html

This one's really rare.:rolleyes:
"Rare Find - Vintage All Chrome Genuine Low Rider 20" Bicycle"
00404_1W57fLYlhbd_600x450.jpg

"the rims and many of the spokes are in poor condition - it has been stored for many years and they didn't protect the wheels from corrosion - it will need new rims and spokes"

"$500 Cash or best serious offers may be considered - don't waste my time with bullcrap offers, I only delete them..."
http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/bid/4590757034.html
I have bought that same model for $50.00 -& couldn't make a dime off it!

My favorite part is the, "don't waste my time with bullcrap offers, I only delete them..." Talk about chutzpah! He's offering a complete turd for $500 and then warns people not to lowball him. Just for S&G's I typed "lowrider" into the craigslist search feature. Sure enough, there were about half a dozen in really nice condition for $200 or less.

CL is definitely hit and miss but you can come up with some good deals if you are patient and willing to drive a little. I buy, fix and flip old 3 speed road bikes, and cruisers to fund my rat bikes. Picked up an old Free Spirit in a barn nothe of Dallas for $20, spent $ 35 for new rim strips, tubes and tires, cleaned and lubes it. Sold it for $120.

Biggest problem I see is when a newbie on CL thinks an old bike is worth a lot of money no matter what the condition. You have to be patient and wear these guys down. Just bought an old ladies Columbia 3 speed for $ 30 when the listing started at $ 110. I'll make a few bucks when it's all said and done but I am going to spend a few bucks on the refurbish.

My bread and butter are vintage 3 speed ladies bike. I buy them cheap, spend about 35 to 40 bucks to refurbish and then sell for a nice little profit. My biggest customers for these bikes are older dudes who have a hard time lifting there legs over to ride. The step through ladies bikes are perfect for them. I stay away from single speeds and bikes with derailers. No real interest for the former and too expensive to refurbish the latter.

Last edited:
I find that odd!

Womens bikes in general are basically free in my area, and I have a hard time selling anything, even 30s-40s-50s bikes for less than $100 all the time. I've had to break even on 100% original cwcs and shelbys with tanks just to get them off the lot.

My best flips are mid school BMX bikes, and somewhat newer MTB and road bikes (mid 90s - now) I usually make $100-300 profit per.

Latest posts

Back