Cpuff

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Laid eyes on a frame for the first time today.

cpuff1.jpg

After a 140 mile round trip ride in pouring rain. Kinda crusty. Don't know whats going to happen from here on? But always a lot's of fun! Definately not going to re-invent the wheels here. My only goal is to end up with a cool old bike (COB). Thanks!!!

I have a few of those chrome grip bars also! Nice frame for a start.
Gary

Thanks Gary,
Haven't got the frame in the stand yet. But by eyeballing it, I couldn't tell that it was bent any. I want to check it further to make sure it dont have any cracks anywhere. The paint has some major issues. It's been covered with the requesite latex house paint. Believe it was originally a Phantom. I got some options as far as wheels go. I kinda liked the mods done to the fork. We'll see what happens! I might add that after participating in four buildoffs here, I think I'm up to 8 votes total overall. Good luck to everyone! Thanks!!!

Got it in the stand and luckily no visable cracks in the frame observed! Believe ser# indicates possibly a 1956 #. Starts off with an N835XX ser#. Crank had an "8" on it? One of those duplicated serial numbers accorording to the posted charts. It has what's left of a 55up style springer on it.

cpuff2.jpg

I'm stoked that it's still got a headbadge on it. Had these wheels laying about. They seem to go good with this frame. Got some accessories to bolt on to it. Thanks!!!

Thanks Gerry,
Oddly enough the BB came right out! Did give it a treatment of Kroil beforehand though just to make sure. Thought about stripping the frame to bare metal. But the more I look at it, the more I'm thinking of leaving it as is. Thanks!!!

Thanks Gerry, hadn't thought about the steel wool. Have to give that a try. It may have some decent original paint under the white? I'm thinking someone turned it into a ratrod long ago and want to preserve that as much as possible. I've got a new old beat up stock tank for it. The spokes are seized and their all going to have to be replaced. Haven't decided on a drive train yet. Probably gonna go fenderless. Seems like I'm going to be lazy in this buildoff! Thanks!!!

Here's some more pics of cpuff like I found it. This was someone elses ratrod engineering from long ago.

cpuff5.jpg

They got that stovebolt holding the fork legs.

cpuff6.jpg

They used a piece of water pipe in place of the spring. The stem and handlebars have been in this position for a few decades.

cpuff7.jpg

Kinda gives it a stretched out stance on the fork.

cpuff8.jpg

Thanks!!!

I'm fixin to replace all the spokes. Going to use a 1" pitch Morrow on the rear. May rob a horn unit from one of a couple of ladies bikes that I have. Thanks!!!

More progress on Cpuff.

cpuff10.jpg

Here I'm lacing the old Morrow in. This hub has an F3 date code. I always like to lace up the rear hub with the guts removed.

cpuff11.jpg

My high tech truing stand.

cpuff12.jpg

Got both wheels done.

cpuff14.jpg

She's getting there!

Thanks!!!

Latest posts

Back