Couple of 700c single speeds I've been building

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every year when the temp starts dropping I feel the need for speed, in years past I would pick me up a nice road bike but I've come to hate a janky ole derailleur, never can get the adjustment just right to use all available speeds without any noise or rubbing, at least on anything more then a 6 speed. This year I've picked up a couple of 700c single speeds, not fixies, single speeds with a freewheel. First one is a NOS 2010 520 Reynolds chromoly Specialized Langster, I picked this one up locally as a frameset. Put a set of triple wall wheels with sealed bearing formula hubs and a Lasco crankset, super nice and fast. Second one, I ordered, a chrome pure fix. I put a Sugino Pista crankset on it and fitted it with a Kinesis Carbon 2 race fork last night with a new set of 23c tires, came with 28c. Both bikes are super nice and dialed in, very quick with the 48/16 gearing.

Thanks man, not a roadie myself but I do like a fast bike. You'd never catch me in spandex!!:21:

Thanks man, not a roadie myself but I do like a fast bike. You'd never catch me in spandex!!:21:

yeah? You'd never catch me in spandex cause I'm too fast!

which one rides better?
Great looking bikes. I actually prefer the old triangles aesthetics, function over fashion.

Thanks fellas, I've always preferred the older bikes as well and do still have a couple of cool old Schwinn Racers, just cant' find the older frames with the straight true track dropouts, hard to say but I think the Langster rides a little better, super smooth and just rolls forever.

Thanks Jerry!!

Cool. After working on my Winter Build-off bike, The Difference Engine, Ive been contemplating doing that to my roady. I've got an old Cannondale T400 that spends 99% of the time in one gear. It's light, I ditched the drops long ago, so it's comfy on my old back. I laughed when you mentioned spandex. We have some of "those guys" around here and I love to shadow them. I see em' peekin' at me and shiftin' up like they're gonna lose me... Haha this old hippie ain't havin' any of that! After a mile or so they usually stop and when they see what I'm on we get to talking, it's all fun.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back