Could this be the Facel Vega of Bicycles?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was at the bike jumble today. Didn't sell a bloody thing so it was a total loss. To add insult to injury, I just couldn't resist buying this:

pic002.jpg

pic004.jpg

pic003.jpg

pic006.jpg

The frame was made by a company called J. Mac in Lannemezane. Isn't it just 'so French'?
It is extremely lightweight and indeed challenges British Lightweights in this respect.

And the best thing is, I was looking for a 40s-50s French lightweight 650b for quite some time.

The paintwork is so nicely distressed, that I will not do a thing to it. I will leave it as is. It tells a life story. You could not possibly replicate this.

Plans are to go completely mad with this build. I can already see it with Ghisallo wooden 650b rims and Grand Bois tyres, a vintage French leather saddle, hammered mudguards, you get the picture. Completely bonkers, I know, and it will cost a fortune or two.

But there you go. I just can't help it.

Thats just about the coolest chainguard I've seen in years... very cool and a nice looking frame too

Remember the scene in 'Les Triplettes de Belleville' when his mother gives him his first tricycle? It must have been very similar to his reaction what I did when I saw this frame and chainguard today.

However, I did a bit of research tonight and it looks like most parts I will need to build it are made of unobtainium.

Thanks guys!

But I'm not going to use anything non-genuine on something this genuine.

This will be as real as it gets when I'm done with it and if it is going to be my nemesis (the inevitable dealing with the French may well prove what I just said true. But there is an odd romance in that. See what I is sayin'?).

kingplinker said:
it's beautiful - everything about it is great... neck is sweet! is it aluminum?

Yes, the quill and handlebar are aluminium. Should be easy to polish.

I posted it on a French forum for old bicycles and they date it between 1945 and 1950, so I wasn't that far off.

Baron von Zach said:
Thanks guys!

But I'm not going to use anything non-genuine on something this genuine.

This will be as real as it gets when I'm done with it and if it is going to be my nemesis (the inevitable dealing with the French may well prove what I just said true. But there is an odd romance in that. See what I is sayin'?).
:roll: Hahaa,what a beaut! I see a trip to France this summer on the cards!

Boris said:
:roll: Hahaa,what a beaut! I see a trip to France this summer on the cards!

Boulogne sur Mer, 26 July to 10 August. My wife is still delighted and full of anticipation. She has no idea what the real purpose of the trip is...

Latest posts

Back