Cork valve stem caps

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got bored sitting around the house and decided to so something creative. A buddy and myself are currently redoing his bike and what not but he has boring plastic caps.... And thus a cork valve cap was put into play. Cheap,Easy, and different.

So start out with 2 smaller corks. they run around like 20 cents at a hobby store around here. Using stock plastic caps as well.
IMAG0390-1.jpg

Make a small center hole just big enough to put the tip of a knife into.
IMAG0392.jpg

I used a blunt tipped knife so I wouldn't punch through the end of the other side.
IMAG0394.jpg

The inside looks kind of crude but with a little bit of time and being easy with it, it smoothed out.
IMAG0395.jpg

Very gently insert the stocker caps. I used a pencil to seat the cap all the way.
IMAG0396.jpg

*repeat to other cork*

I put a wood stain on them just to experiment. They turned into a very aged looking cork. I like it.
IMAG0397.jpg

IMAG0398.jpg

Heres a picture of a non stained compared to a stained.
IMAG0400.jpg

All in all it cost me 40 cents, a little bit of stainer, and some elbow grease. Enjoy! :mrgreen:

Cool and cheap idea. :) Planning on painting them or are you gonna keep them like this? They could be turned into a little piece of artwork.
I too thought the valves were ugly,so I covered them both up with a bulletcase from a WW2 rifle. Cost me nothing, 'cause I dug 'm up myself. :mrgreen:

We left them a natural cork. His bike is navy blue and cream so the matched perfect. He was stoked so I'm happy with it.

Latest posts

Back