Columbia Convertible Commuter *FINISHED*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any decisions on the handlebars yet? Or did I miss it...? :confused: The dual drive is definitely cool! Fits your combo of retro / modern really well!

Thanks ya'll, I'm looking forward to trying out the Duel Drive.
I really like your style of bike design.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk
Thanks.:)

Sweet drivetrain!

I remember that Yamaha. Any chance of that build coming alive again?
I've still got everything just as it was two years ago, but it's pretty far down on the list of projects.:rolleyes:

Any decisions on the handlebars yet? Or did I miss it...? :confused: The dual drive is definitely cool! Fits your combo of retro / modern really well!

No decisions on the handlebar yet. The only thing I know is that I want black/aluminum/short rise.

Last edited:
We used to carry the Cannondale Adventure bikes with the Dual Drive at the shop. They were easy to set up and seemed to work well.
Many years back, I built a klunker with a Sachs 3x7 hub (the precursor to the Dual Drive) and left the triple on the front giving the bike 63 speeds. The thing actually worked nicely. Never did test it on a big downhill run to see how fast it would go... :rolleyes:

We used to carry the Cannondale Adventure bikes with the Dual Drive at the shop. They were easy to set up and seemed to work well.
Many years back, I built a klunker with a Sachs 3x7 hub (the precursor to the Dual Drive) and left the triple on the front giving the bike 63 speeds. The thing actually worked nicely. Never did test it on a big downhill run to see how fast it would go... :rolleyes:

Wow, 63 speed! :crazy2:

Love that drive setup! Was thinking that front sprocket was small but now it all makes sense. Very trick.

24lbs is good. Can probably keep it under 30lbs pretty easy.

The chain ring is a 33T.

I'd like to keep it under 30lbs. We'll see.
Anybody know where I can get a 20.7mm aluminum set post (preferably black)?

Got these in...
dd9f2c6a-8090-4a8f-b2b1-eddafc61c078_zpsyxfhmsfa.jpg

I've never been a big fan of grip shifts, but because these were designed to go with the DuelDrive system, I'm going with it. I can always change them later if I can't live with it.

I don't like gripshifts either, but I think that is because we are all used to the cheap and nasty ones that come with big box bikes, the better brand ones actually seem to work quite well, it is just getting past that cheap mentality... (For me anyway.)

Sram makes some good stuff...

Luke.

I like grip shifters, but they don't have nearly the cool factor some of the older stuff has. I've seen them mounted on the seatpost to minimize cable lines...

Got these in...
dd9f2c6a-8090-4a8f-b2b1-eddafc61c078_zpsyxfhmsfa.jpg

I've never been a big fan of grip shifts, but because these were designed to go with the DuelDrive system, I'm going with it. I can always change them later if I can't live with it.

MRX Comps are hard to beat for value. They work fine, index with most Shimano systems, and come with grips and cables. All this for like, $20! Like buying the grips and cables and getting the shifters for free...

The SRAM gripshifts are fairly subtle compared to a nexus or something. Just keep the cables neat and they will look fine. They will blend better than thumb shifters which would be your only other option to keep the indexed shifting.

MRX Comps are hard to beat for value. They work fine, index with most Shimano systems, and come with grips and cables. All this for like, $20! Like buying the grips and cables and getting the shifters for free...
$18.35 shipped.
...and they're black too! :happy:

It's been a while since I've made any substantial progress.
Unfortunately I still haven't. :21: Any progress is still progress (right?) but I'm starting to feel the deadline approaching fast.

Today I routed the cables through the tank for the rear brakes, rear hub and derailleur. Partly. I'm waiting until I get a handle bar and stem before I determine where the cables enter the tank. I want the cables to be as hidden as possible.

The fiberglass chipped a little but will get cleaned up when the bodywork starts. I grabbed some junk cable housings to fit with, but the real cables will all be black of course. Also, the electrical tape will be replaced with something more permanent.

Columbia%20cable%20route1_zpsc08eungl.jpg

Columbia%20cable%20route2_zpsahllwoww.jpg

Nice and clean routing on the cables.

Those recessed nuts on the brake work well if you drill the mounting hole just the right size. I had to use them on mine as there wasn't enough length on the mount bolt.

Figured you'd use that tank to hide the cables. That works beautifully. :thumbsup:

Thanks, I'm on the hunt for some type of clean looking cable clamps to secure the shift cables to the frame.

After all of the grinding to fit the tank to the frame and now drilling for the cables, the rear end of the tank is getting very thin in places. It may not be necessary, but I'll reinforce it on the inside to make myself feel better about it.

You're right Chad, braze-on cable guides would be ideal, but one of my goals with this bike is to try to avoid any specialized skills or tools (sort of an every man's bike). There are some very talented welders and fabricators in the build off doing some inspiring work, but I hope to build a bike using one of my tanks that will encourage builders that don't have access to those things.
I'd like to find something that clamps or screws on for the cables. I haven't ruled out zip ties either!

Last edited:
You're right Chad, braze-on cable guides would be ideal, but one of my goals with this bike is to try to avoid any specialized skills or tools (sort of an every man's bike). There are some very talented welders and fabricators in the build off doing some inspiring work, but I hope to build a bike using one of my tanks that will encourage builders that don't have access to those things.
I'd like to find something that clamps or screws on for the cables. I haven't ruled out zip ties either!

Lots of simple solutions out there for that. I like to use the bolt on shimano ones for stops.

prod20765_IMGSET

They're made to bolt to a brazed on shifter boss but I just drill + tap + use a longer screw. Lots of tastefull clamp on guides to just hold the cables.

Latest posts

Back