Columbia Convertible Commuter *FINISHED*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm...yeah that's probably not going to clear a fender. Super short reach too.

There is this u-brake that functions like that but you'd have to fab a center mount for it.

Tektro-FX570-CFS-Front-U-Brake-Black-0.jpg

Good news is it's cheap.

http://www.jensonusa.com/!jVAVfykI5...dium=organic&gclid=CMLHworH_MUCFQ8paQodUqUAig

Edit: You actually wouldn't have to fab an adapter if you could find one of these. It's called a u-brake adapter or mount.

img_1092_copy10_blowup.jpg

Last edited:
A "notched" fender may be a solution if the tire clears the brake arms. It would be a last resort to have to cut em... Maybe also check tire/brake arm clearance w/o the fender on 1st...... Looking really good!:thumbsup:

A "notched" fender may be a solution if the tire clears the brake arms. It would be a last resort to have to cut em... Maybe also check tire/brake arm clearance w/o the fender on 1st...... Looking really good!:thumbsup:
+1 agree with fender notch,specially if you can make it just wide enough for brake movement

Hmmmm...yeah that's probably not going to clear a fender. Super short reach too.

There is this u-brake that functions like that but you'd have to fab a center mount for it.

Tektro-FX570-CFS-Front-U-Brake-Black-0.jpg

Good news is it's cheap.

http://www.jensonusa.com/!jVAVfykI5...dium=organic&gclid=CMLHworH_MUCFQ8paQodUqUAig

Edit: You actually wouldn't have to fab an adapter if you could find one of these. It's called a u-brake adapter or mount.

img_1092_copy10_blowup.jpg
Yep, I had followed that trail a couple of weeks ago but never did find a source for the adapter plate. Even if I could find it, it's still a guess whether or not it would work until I get one in my hands. I might be able to call around this week and find someone who sells the lateral pull TT brakes to get some measurements.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

I'm definitely not above cutting the fender!

Back to the bottom bracket adapter.

The few thousandths that I had machined away did the trick! One side was a little tighter than the other, but it went together. When I remove it again, there is still just a little bit of grinding needed for one of the bolts to have a clear path across the shell.

Little by little...
529d63d1-2934-4802-a351-dd5b57131d46_zpsrw5e2zso.jpg

Wow looking good. This will be one sexy commuter. You got the tires tucked in the fenders just right. Can't wait to see some cranks on there. I think a lot of the "donk" look you were seeing is mostly the lack of cranks. All bikes look kind of naked like that without cranks on them.
You were right. I was finally able to mount the crankset and it looks much better.

There is still a lot of hardware to add, but at this point it weighs in at 24 lbs.
926a3590-65f6-4f71-a9d4-0dd8295b65b5_zpseomi36tt.jpg

The crankset and hub is a SRAM DualDrive™ setup. The DualDrive combines a three speed internally geared hub with an eight speed cassette controlled by a derailleur and a single chainring for a total of 24 speeds.
b8b810c8-c65c-4623-b2a7-a35bdce61249_zps06vqdzli.jpg

This is the second time for this to appear in the build off. The first time was in BO-8 on my Yamaha that I abandoned.

100_5309_zps07e55326.jpg

That's pretty cool, I've never seen that drive setup before.
Let us know how well it performs.

Carl.

Explain how that functions, please. One shifter--two cables? The photos I could find seemed to show only one cable between the grip selector and the click-box.

Explain how that functions, please. One shifter--two cables? The photos I could find seemed to show only one cable between the grip selector and the click-box.
There are two cables. One is as described in the video above and the other goes to the derailleur and operates normally. I have the two in one grip shift/click shift like the video shows, but I have ordered another set of grip shifters for left and right hand shifting. I think that I will like that set up better.

The crankset and hub is a SRAM DualDrive™ setup. The DualDrive combines a three speed internally geared hub with an eight speed cassette controlled by a derailleur and a single chainring for a total of 24 speeds.
b8b810c8-c65c-4623-b2a7-a35bdce61249_zps06vqdzli.jpg

This is the second time for this to appear in the build off. The first time was in BO-8 on my Yamaha that I abandoned.

100_5309_zps07e55326.jpg
That is awesome. I like that idea for the hills out here.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

There are two cables. One is as described in the video above and the other goes to the derailleur and operates normally. I have the two in one grip shift/click shift like the video shows, but I have ordered another set of grip shifters for left and right hand shifting. I think that I will like that set up better.
I really like your style of bike design.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Sweet drivetrain!

I remember that Yamaha. Any chance of that build coming alive again?

Latest posts

Back