colson clone loop tail practice

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks every body. Its comming right along , but really its not about the build , its about me finding out how to bend a loop tail on my new bender. The frame is just incidental :oops: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Sinner4 said:
Very Nice, but I want one. Ever think to bend and sell them????

If your talking about the rear triangle , they would only fit the frame that you built them for. If your talking about building the frames to sell , that was tried and went over like a lead balloon. I think the only one that sold outside my family almost had to be given away. Not a big seller. :cry:

Complementary picture for this page

DSCF0009-1.jpg

What they look like with a regular triangle

mine2.jpg

Uncle Stretch said:
Thanks every body. Its comming right along , but really its not about the build , its about me finding out how to bend a loop tail on my new bender. The frame is just incidental :oops: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Sinner4 said:
Very Nice, but I want one. Ever think to bend and sell them????

If your talking about the rear triangle , they would only fit the frame that you built them for. If your talking about building the frames to sell , that was tried and went over like a lead balloon. I think the only one that sold outside my family almost had to be given away. Not a big seller. :cry:

Ya just there rear bent up. I can take care of the rest. Like a kit for a kit bike builder kind of thing.

that loop tail rear really cleans up the bikes lines compared to the `08 model! 8) really solid and beefy with the larger diameter tubing. you know what im thinking.......so i wont say it! :lol: :lol:

On this build I found out several things. I tried to use 16 gauge tubing. That was kinda the fault of my supplier. Its too thin to work. It burns through too much. This may just be my fault as a welder . Welding round tubing is really hard anyway , because about the time you get started on a bead you have to quit , and start again. I can usually do pretty good , but this tubing made me feel like a novice again. My welder has 4 heat ranges. 2 was too cold and 3 was too hot. Your suppose to keep most of you heat on the thicker metal. It still didn't work in this application. I also found out if you make the bottom too long , it will look funny with no tire in there. There is a bolt on the die that screws down on the tubing and as you bend, it will hold the tubing in place. If its not tight/snug then the tubing will slip and the bend will slide out of the die some and make a less than perfect bend. The part that will touch at the seat post needs to be bent in on the bender. While the cut a wedge out , bend it over and weld it up looks ok I think having the tubing bent at that point will be stronger and look better. I know it will be easier. So now its ...cut the rear triangle off and get some 14 gauge tubing and try it again , till I get it right.

Looking good. Is it possible to bend the ends 90 degrees, weld together then weld on the back of the seat tube?

cman said:
Looking good. Is it possible to bend the ends 90 degrees, weld together then weld on the back of the seat tube?

I'm not sure Clancy. When you have that stuff in the bender and trying to make two separate parts meet the bender might get in the way. I just got back from the steel supply and bought the 14 gauge 1'' tubing. It should stop the welding problems with the 16 gauge. Actually Clancy welding to the side of the seat post is stronger than trying to weld a tube sideways to another tube. There is very little contact area on that kind of fitment.

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
wow, I really like this.

Thanks ...If I can get this down pat , it should make my frames look better....well different anyway. :lol: :lol:

I also like the frame behind it,in the 3th picture, the one with the springer.. Any pics of that one Uncle?
Grtz

ballroomwrecker said:
I also like the frame behind it,in the 3th picture, the one with the springer.. Any pics of that one Uncle?
Grtz

I started building that one and when I got to the rear section , I wanted something better for a rear triangle. Then I started my quest for the perfect rear triangle. As soon as its perfected ,I will build a looptail for it. Sorry a little photoshop on the background. Its not much right now.

DSCF0001-14.jpg

Unc, I'm enjoying this! It got me to wondering if anyone could provide some drawn tubing with an OD custom taper? Cheap? I've never looked for any but realize that cheap and custom drawn tubing might not be in the same conversation?'

cashman said:
Unc, I'm enjoying this! It got me to wondering if anyone could provide some drawn tubing with an OD custom taper? Cheap? I've never looked for any but realize that cheap and custom drawn tubing might not be in the same conversation?'

This is a learning process , so anything is game. I'm building a bike as soon as I master the loop tail. This is just trial and error on how to bend tubing and make it look right on the back of a scratch built frame.
I'm not sure on how they do that tubing that is smaller at one end. That last bike I stretched had it smaller at the seat post and it really looked cool. I sat and thought what would the machine look like to do it with. Maybe heated and stretched over a mandrel. I bet somebody can do it , but I'm betting it would be a speciality item and real expensive.

A quick search turned up this youtube one on how its done. If they do it to chairs , Maybe its not too expensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv-WQah1 ... re=related

I will build it as soon as I get a good looptail produced. I bought a bunch of 14 gauge 1'' tubing yesterday , and as soon as a few life things clear up I will probably finish that one and maybe start on one I have rolling around in my mind.

Ok I got the drop outs built and tacked on. May still have to move them if the chain location hits anything. I lowered it a couple inches in the rear. May be difficult to see but its lower in the back than my clone. It adds to the rake and also the different rear triangle adds to the the way the frame looks.

DSCF0004-6.jpg

Thanks Dr T. A severe family drama has stopped me a little. Hopefully its over for a while and I can actually get some quality time in my shop. :roll:

Hope everything works out for ya Paul :wink: That frame is lookin' good 8)

Latest posts

Back