Colsen Commander

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just wondering what this is worth. Offered it in trade and think I offended the guy or something. Please don't reply with "its worth what someones willing to pay for it," 'cause although thats true (to an extent) its still a pretty lame answer.

ColsenCommander015.jpg

ColsenCommander014.jpg

ColsenCommander013.jpg

ColsenCommander012.jpg

ColsenCommander011.jpg

ColsenCommander010.jpg

ColsenCommander009.jpg

ColsenCommander008.jpg

ColsenCommander007.jpg

ColsenCommander006.jpg

ColsenCommander005.jpg

ColsenCommander004.jpg

ColsenCommander003.jpg

ColsenCommander002.jpg

ColsenCommander001.jpg

that is a cool looking bike. And I agree with Clancy's assessment.

I have a very similar bike except it's Evans badged, I'll be posting pics of my basement bikes as soon as I can get to them Thanksgiving week or if I get laid off earlier.

As a complete bike, I would have thought more like $300-500, but I am no expert.
Good looking ride.

I'd be willing to spend around 200 to 250 for it.Personally, I dont think it is a 4 to 5 hundred doller bike. It has great lines, cool tank and overall a sweet looking bike. Hope thAT helps. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies! I know the Delta Rocket Ray light goes for a lot of bones all on its own, I also know that I've never seen this exact Colsen Commander bike anywhere. I'd also like to add I was at the TrexlerTown bike swap meet and saw three Colsen Commanders in rougher shape than mine go for 300 to 500 each. Two sold at the Velo the first day and the other behind the FireHouse the second day. So I do have a rough idea of what they go for but still need to do some research before I have a more solid idea, hence my post.

charliechaindrive said:
those are some wicked cool truss rods!

I agree! I love how they flow with the lines of the downtube and fender. Sticking that idea away in my head.

This is an early Evans Colson bicycle. Colson went under in '53 and Evans bought the name out and began producing bicycles for the '54 model year in Plymouth Michigan. This looks to be a first year model '54 or early '55. I live in Plymouth, so I have a bit of a personal stake in these bikes. I've never owned a nice, nearly complete one and would be interested.

I'd say the 250-300$ range is fair for this nice bike. They haven't appreciated terribly much since they're such a small company but a nice bike is a nice bike. Whereabouts are you located? Out of curiosity. Great find!

I'm in Philly PA. Due to the info I've gathered I'm going to stick with the higher quotes/guess-timations. :wink: BTW, you say "nearly complete," what to you seems to be missing?

the light seems correct, but it may need to be red, not sure. Needs head badge. Needs whatever zip-tie is holding on resolved. Yeah, maybe if you clean it up real good, buff it out, replace any bad chrome you could get $300 for it, maybe more depending how good she looked. I think it's such a cool bike it would be an easy sell either way. If you leave it as is, around $200-$250 seems about right but I know that hurts to hear. But what do I know, I'm just a tinkerer... :)

kingplinker said:
the light seems correct, but it may need to be red, not sure. Needs head badge. Needs whatever zip-tie is holding on resolved. Yeah, maybe if you clean it up real good, buff it out, replace any bad chrome you could get $300 for it, maybe more depending how good she looked. I think it's such a cool bike it would be an easy sell either way. If you leave it as is, around $200-$250 seems about right but I know that hurts to hear. But what do I know, I'm just a tinkerer... :)

Due to what I've seen them go for AND the info I've gotten here on RRBs I'm gonna go ahead and stick to my guns....for now. :wink: not to mention I sold the white rusted out orig Delta Rocket Ray light that came on the bike for good money here on RRBs AND I sold the box the NOS replament white Delta Rocket Ray light came in privately for even better money. I'd also like to mention the bike is not for sale. I'm just curious as to the value, you know, just in case I do decide to sell it in the future.

All I really see missing is the headbadge. The rims are correct despite their curious zinc plated nature. Kind of like Monarks, they were never chromed. Enjoy! It even looks awesome with the brick red tires.

Thanks man! I really enjoy it. Going to get the rear hub rebuilt soon, not stopping as well as it should, then the new repop badge, and I'll be cruising her as she looks in the pics, no shame! :D

Thanks all the the helpful replies!

RatSphinx said:
I have a very similar bike except it's Evans badged, I'll be posting pics of my basement bikes as soon as I can get to them Thanksgiving week or if I get laid off earlier.

Here it is, I hope you don't mind me posting on this thread.
11-7-12710.jpg

11-7-12711.jpg

Latest posts

Back