colector bicycle insurance

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Commits a felony over a bicycle. Smooth move.

Take many pictures of everything. I have shot video of every open drawer in my toolbox and walk around of the shop showing every bike and every tool. You need to have proof of ownership and condition in order to get paid by the insurance company if something happens. But... There is no insurance for a bike out on a ride unless someone else is at fault and known. If your hit by a car their insurance covers it. If you bike is stolen from the bike rack at the local taco hut you're out of luck. I'm sure with enough money you could get a special clause written in but it wouldn't be cost effective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

there is bicycle insurance avlibal , but i know most don't have it cause that would cost them money , that could be spent on more bicycle builds !

Why is protecting your on property a felony where you live? Not trying to get in a debate here, just wondering....
You can do a lot of perfectly legal theft deterring with a Smith and Wesson around here!

I think that, in many places, you'll likely find yourself in trouble if you plug some punk trying to take your bikes, regardless of what the law says. You'd need to be able to prove that the thief presented a real physical threat to your life or physical well-being... and even if you could, if pre-trial public opinion goes the wrong way, that may not even matter. Folks, including many cops, may assume that he just wanted the bike, and that you should've just called the police and kept your fingers crossed. The headlines will read something like "Hoarder Shoots Teen Over a Rusty Ol' Bike", and folks will have their minds made up already.

Personally, I think if you trespass with intent to steal, you get what you get, end of story. Unfortunately, that POV seems to be less prevalent every day.

Now, I think you'll be ok if you just keep your sidearm handy if/when you confront the thief.... unless he's packing, too. Then you have some sort of Desperado stand-off situation in the works.

Hey, I agree that you're right.... but things don't always work out the "right" way. From where I'm sitting, it looks like some high-profiles cases may have had their outcomes influenced by public opinion.

In NJ, you could lawfully use your Smith&Wesson to defend yourself from physical harm, but not to protect your Schwinn from being stolen. As I see it, once someone violates the law by trespassing and stealing, all bets are off regarding what they may try to do to me and my family, so....But my home isn't protected by Smith&Wesson. It's protected by Easton. Intruders may have a big advantage over me.

i didn't want to start a discussion on protecting your stuff with violence , i just wanted to know if you had you bikes insurred like if you riding your bike & it got slolen & if you storage shed got damaged in a disaster !

Why is protecting your on property a felony where you live? Not trying to get in a debate here, just wondering....
You can do a lot of perfectly legal theft deterring with a Smith and Wesson around here!

The Castle Doctrine is only allowed with the following circumstances:
  • An intruder must be making an attempt (or have made) an attempt to unlawfully or forcibly enter an occupied residence, business, or vehicle.
  • The intruder must be acting unlawfully (the castle doctrine does not allow a right to use force against officers of the law, acting in the course of their legal duties).
  • The occupant(s) of the home must reasonably believe the intruder intends to inflict serious bodily harm or death upon an occupant of the home. Some states apply the Castle Doctrine if the occupant(s) of the home reasonably believe the intruder intends to commit a lesser felony such as arson or burglary.
  • The occupant(s) of the home must not have provoked or instigated an intrusion; or, provoked/instigated an intruder's threat or use of deadly force.

Most laws (including Colorado's "Make My Day Law") are based on the Castle Doctrine.
Therefore, someone stealing you're beloved bike does not follow section three of the Castle Doctrine.
Most prosecutors can also push a guilty verdict if the assailant has their escape blocked purposely or are confronted before using deadly physical force.

Using deadly force is only meant to defend against someone using deadly force illegally.

i didn't want to start a discussion on protecting your stuff with violence , i just wanted to know if you had you bikes insurred like if you riding your bike & it got slolen & if you storage shed got damaged in a disaster !

Riding no, storage shed and items inside should be covered by your homeowners insurance. As I mentioned earlier, take pictures or video of everything inside.
You can also call and ask your insurance company about these scenarios. We pay a heck of a lot of money over the years to them so they should be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

Latest posts

Back