ClearOut - from the basement to the campground back on the street

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwissGuy

Professional Amateur Tinkerer
Pro Member
Reaction score
ClearOut started as a heap of frames and parts that needed to make way for other stuff in my basement storage compartment, hence the name. I took all that stuff with me to my caravan on the campground at the outskirts of Berlin. During my summer holidays I spent a week there with my kids and in that time I repaired several bikes and built up this one. Until this point I didn't buy anything new. All parts on the bike came out of my various parts boxes!
The only things bought new for this bike are a white and a red led and a USB power bank (all together less than 5.– €)

This bike is now ridden on a daily basis as my commute to work and back. It rides smooth and quiet and I really like the more upright position I have on this one.

It was again a big pleasure to build a bike within this great community, only topped by the pleasure to ride a bike that's built not bought!

Here's what came out:
SAM_4707_02.JPG

SAM_4709_01.JPG

Ride video (this bike has some offroad potential) :wink1:

We have lift off!

And here's the link to the build thread

Some more pics:
SAM_4675_01.JPG

SAM_4674_01.JPG

SAM_4748_01.JPG

SAM_4751_01.JPG

SAM_4745_01.JPG

The starting point:
ac65c1de8393b91ee568a4187dc7ccf2.jpg

My workshop:
3828bd344a2ba6b119bb60a1d22dd073.jpg

Midnight wrenching:
fa6af3680771ab434775e879cbcf7491.jpg

Some details:
6166995b7917d8eaf73e9f5c46cc5387.jpg

d1eb34e5ea4dfe1a6a181ac2df4c4705.jpg

a61e4d9200f1d8ba43da7130134f2316.jpg

aecff2785da34582618a4c165cd94e31.jpg

460ca5d9c807841b39c126c36188cbef.jpg

LED-Lights are powered by an USB-powerbank:
SAM_4719.JPG

SAM_4728.JPG

SAM_4727.JPG

SAM_4725.JPG

Last edited:
Nice work ! I really like the head badge, and the way this bike has a 'retro commuter' look to it.

It looks like an early version of what modern commuter bikes would have been patterned after; internal hub, built in lights, skinny riser bars, wider more all around tires.

Well done! :thumbsup:

Nice work ! I really like the head badge, and the way this bike has a 'retro commuter' look to it.

It looks like an early version of what modern commuter bikes would have been patterned after; internal hub, built in lights, skinny riser bars, wider more all around tires.

Well done! [emoji106]
Thanks for the compliments!

About the commuter style: Guess what I'm using the bike for on a daily basis... [emoji6]

Gesendet von meinem K00Y mit Tapatalk

As always, I really enjoyed following your build. It was cool that you took it with you as you traveled.
Well done!

You probably already know this, but Don't forget that when the Voting thread is created we will use the first pic from your Finished thread. I'm not suggesting anything is wrong with the current pic, just making sure everyone knows.

As always, I really enjoyed following your build. It was cool that you took it with you as you traveled.
Well done!

Thank you! Taking the build with me was the only chance to do it, so it was a no-brainer for me... :crazy:

You probably already know this, but Don't forget that when the Voting thread is created we will use the first pic from your Finished thread. I'm not suggesting anything is wrong with the current pic, just making sure everyone knows.

Thank's for the reminder, I just revisited/reedited my first post/first pic... :wink1:

A fine, cohesive build . . . and oh, that shifter!!!
Yeah, that shifter gets a lot of street credit, even among the full-suspension MTB riding youngsters on the jump track. Especially when I join in on the jump'n'bump with THIS bike.

Tipical dialog:
kid: Isn't that bad for the bike, riding it over this bumps?
me: Yes, but it's fun!
kid: Ok, cool! (kid pausing, looking at the bike)
kid: What's THAT?
me: That's the shifter.
kid: Nooo, really?
me: Yes, look (me demonstrating)
kid: Cool, like on a motor boat

Just love it!

Money spent: 5.- €
Riding joy: priceless!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back