ChromeDoubt - See it in the Finished Bikes section!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can a purpose built bike, without all the fluff, actually place well in this competition?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hi, I'm supergoob. You may remember me from such bikes as Raceliner back in Build Off 8:

Shortly after Build Off 8 my career really took off and I've not been behind a computer screen for 8 hours a day like I was for so long. This really cut into my RRB forum time and, thus, my motivation to build a good ratty bike. Last week I started building a bike on a whim and, when it really started coming together, I decided to make a post. Low and behold, it's Build Off season! This won't be nearly as over the top or intricate as many of the builds on the forum, and I didn't take nearly as many process pics as I should have, but I hope you guys can appreciate the simplicity and absolute awesomeness that is about to unfurl. This a 100% purpose built bike that will likely see dozens of miles per week.

Meet the beginnings of ChromeDoubt.

Backstory: I've had a steel fixie frame for a couple years and built it up in a handful of configurations over that time period, but never really liked it. So I've decided to take my fixie and turn it into a sick single speed town cruiser. Here are a few parts that I've begun with.

Generic steel fixie frame:

Some nice Campy tid bits

Roached Brooks B72 saddle (thrift shop find!)

Even got a head start on my grips

Stay Tuned!

Over the last few days I've got the frame and fork stripped down and achieved the finish that I want.

Stripped!

Stripped and started the finish process

Frame is finished, at least for now. The rest of the finish will come naturally in the years to come. Once the frame was stripped to bare metal, I think I maybe invested about an hour into the finish on the frame and I can't imagine it having turned out any better!

AND a real quick mock-up

Last edited:
Nice finish ! :113:

you know the build off is 3months till august? not 3 weeks till august:wink1::giggle: hehe:dontmentionit:

its not about the win , its about the head spin:crazy2:

What did you do to that frame? Is that rust? Looks awesome. Love it with the black and alum. Super sporty....looks like it's moving fast just sitting there.

68A2688A-191A-46BB-A108-474AE5AACF06_zpsnvfufgfd.jpg~original

That is a sweet looking ride!

Thanks for the kind words guys, I know this isn't the typical style you see on this forum but its nice to get a little love!

What did you do to that frame? Is that rust? Looks awesome. Love it with the black and alum. Super sporty....looks like it's moving fast just sitting there.

68A2688A-191A-46BB-A108-474AE5AACF06_zpsnvfufgfd.jpg~original

Chad...technically I guess you could say this is rust, or at least the same chemical composition, but the process is whats awesome and something I've never seen done on bikes before. I could be wrong, though. I'll probably do another frame or at least parts after build off season and a more comprehensive write up/video tutorial. But for now I'm hoarding my secrets! I really figured the finish of the frame/fork/bars is what would appeal to the folks on this forum moreso than the rest of the bike...I only wish you could see it in real life!

I have a scale for weighing deep sea fish that I got for $2 at a yard sale.
I used it to weigh Firewing a few years ago and it came in at 53 Pounds.
I also managed to weigh Fugsley and it was close to 80 pounds!!!!!

Like your rust-ification. And those old Bontrager wheels make good rat road bikes!

Like your rust-ification. And those old Bontrager wheels make good rat road bikes!

That's about all they are good for, if you're a roadie then you know these are probably the worst aftermarket wheels ever made. Haha, super light but very weak.

Latest posts

Back