CHROME REMOVAL ?????

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a chrome situation...I have a tank that was replated and the chrome didnt bond for some reason.I have been able to peel 90% of the bad chrome off with my finger nail.
What is a good chemical to loosen the rest of chrome with?? I dont want to sand blast it .

I hope the plating people are going to make it right with you. That's a lot of money to lose like that. I have heard that toilet bowl cleaner like Sani-Flush will take chrome off. I've never tried it so can't swear to it. Gary

I picked the tank up in that condition.So i dont have to start s%#@ with any plate shops.Luckily the bad plate served as a protection to tank,so it is 99% rust free&looks as tho it will buff out for what i am useing it for.Plans of pinstriping it& installing it.

the chrome shop can take it off, I have mine do it all the time, and they do it for me for free, they just dip it in their tank and it removes it back into the tank, then it can be painted

Go by Rex Race Engines ... ask 4 glenn .... tell him stephen told you of this .... attach a wire to the part so ya can dip it ... ask him to have Ben run it thru the acid bath for a few min .... that is were & how I strip all my old worn out chrome .... it disolves almost all of it & just rinses off . good chrome will have brass or copper underneath it .
This process is how I also STOP , Newteralize and disolve all rusty stuff off.

To remove Anodize from alum. you can use oven cleaner .... always BE Careful ... Good ventalation , saftey glasses , Gloves , never leave anything like this laying around in kids reach ..... those rascals seem to find stuff like this like a magnet ... again keep it out of reach when yer done.

Stephen / Wingman

Latest posts

Back