Chrome Recomendations

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Is there any less expensive chrome options? I mean places I could send parts to outside California that may be considerably cheaper?

Cheap chrome ain't good, and good chrome ain't cheap.

I'm thinking of going the nickel-plated route... save some money, and it'd keep me busy, as I'd have to polish it all the time....

Great question. last month I sent some pre war pieces to The Chrome Shop in Rock Island, Illinois. It was 1/3 the price of chroming in my state (Ca) and it came out beautiful. I was very happy with everything. It takes 3 weeks.
The communication was outstanding.
I'd post a pic but I can't figure out how.

I imagine I can find "The Chrome shop" in Rock Island. I had a rear Pea Picker guard done local lat year to the tune of 85.00! I have some swing bike parts that need to stay original so.... Thanx for the recomendation!

Here is the their info:

Doug Matheson
[email protected]
The Chrome Shop Inc.
A Division of Berge Plating Works, Inc.
617 25th Ave.
Rock Island, IL. 61201
309-786-3743
309-788-2831
888-696-2526

If you email him detailed pics he will send you a quote. When it arrives they will inspect and take photos. They will then give you an accurate quote and get your okay. You wont be disappointed.
Have fun and post the before and after pics please? We all love chrome :)

Here is the their info:

Doug Matheson
[email protected]
The Chrome Shop Inc.
A Division of Berge Plating Works, Inc.
617 25th Ave.
Rock Island, IL. 61201
309-786-3743
309-788-2831
888-696-2526

If you email him detailed pics he will send you a quote. When it arrives they will inspect and take photos. They will then give you an accurate quote and get your okay. You wont be disappointed.
Have fun and post the before and after pics please? We all love chrome :)
So, what did you get done, and what did it run ya?

Good price, good Work and great communication. Waiting on frame and we can get this Swing Bike back together

Did you use The Chrome Shop?

I am expecting a bunch of parts to arrive any day, cant wait!
Started 2 pre war bicycles this week and gonna send them more in 2-3 days. It takes over 3 weeks but you cant beat the price and service. Good people!
thanks for your post :)
Kris

Yes I did! Price was great!
Did you use The Chrome Shop?

Started 2 pre war bicycles this week and gonna send them more in 2-3 days. It takes over 3 weeks but you cant beat the price and service. Good people!
Kris

E="antiquecycles, post: 883509, member: 21551"]Did you use The Chrome Shop?

Kris[/QUOTE]
Yes I

Any updates on the price, quality and service from the Chrome shop guys? I'm looking at re-chroming some stingray parts and want another source rather than Proctor's Chrome here in Michigan. Everyone in the bike community goes to them and seem to like their results, but their price seems very high and time from start to delivery seems exceedingly long. I have a friend who has been waiting for just a few parts for 2 months!

the seven parts pictured were 130.00. would be 300+ here in Nor Cal. was about 4 weeks over holidays. I am completely satisfied w The Chrome Shop and will use them again

Have you used them for a frame yet?

Guess I could get some pics and send them in to see about trying chrome on the Beast Chopper. May be a bit too pricey I think, but would be nice to know what it would run.

Like you said, good chrome ain't cheap!

UPDATE...

Although I was super happy with every aspect of my chrome experience with The Chrome Shop, my friend had to wait over a month to be told they hadn't started on his. He called (1-26) and they said they were swamped and they were running behind. They got right on it and he received it 8 days later (2-5). Came out nice and it was a great price.

He just mailed them another box of parts for a current re-do.

Best way to start a restoration or re-do is to send out chrome before you start all the other crap :) that way you aren't sittin' around waiting at the end.

Kris

I live in Connecticut and local chrome shops are very expensive...powder coating is a great option...any color for a fraction of the price of chrome. Stands up well to normal male abuse and easy to pinstripe over it.

I recently had my frame, sprocket, and a few other odds and ends sandblasted and black satin powercoated - 100 bucks out the door. Slick as all get out - love it!

BARTO

Latest posts

Back