Choppacycle No.2

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd let you know about another little cycle build seeing as I have finished the first one (other than a little bit of paint needed now).

Here's an old crusty donor bike

DSCF1249.jpg

Started with some monster bits of card, and put the wheels against it with a spread that I liked, then drew a frame to make

DSCF1283.jpg

Haven't got a pic of the one I put on the card, but it was solid straight lines - I wasn't happy with that. So started to get inventive. Bit of a challenge getting sweeping bends without a roller, but I stuck the tube into the tube bender, pumped the hydraulics 10 times, then moved the tube along an inch or two, then did it again, and again etc. Not ideal, but it's not come out too badly I don't think!

So here's the arty frame before I tacked it together

DSCF1284.jpg

Back onto it tomorrow, unfortunately I don't have any inch tube left, the rest of the frame is inch and a quarter, so thought the back end in inch would be OK, will have to re-think it next time.

I did get hold of a couple of hole saws I thought I'd put into the pillar drill and be able to notch the tube, however, it all went a bit wrong, broke a couple of teeth on the hole saw too, so had to build up the gaps with weld again.

Nice one Dean! I see you are a big fan of C.A.D. too! (That's Cardboard Aided Design) :lol:

That bike is going to look great, good to see another newbie in the scratch built section!

Will you be making your own fork legs?

Luke.

Cheers guys!

I may be using the stock front Luke, I'd like to make my own, but, I could do with flogging my first build to buy more steel for a front end. The next bike I've got in place may get a new front, but I really want to build some springers at some point!

Doormandean said:
I may be using the stock front Luke, I'd like to make my own, but, I could do with flogging my first build to buy more steel for a front end. The next bike I've got in place may get a new front, but I really want to build some springers at some point!

Cool!, keep an eye on my build, I will be on the front single sided springer very soon. Never made one before but it works in my head!

Luke.

Edit: Check out his how to I found. Fairly over the top build, but might give you some ideas on your springer... :arrow: http://bikerodnkustom3.homestead.com/brainfork.html

Got to it again in the garage for about 4 hours, got a back end on the bike now, not entirely happy with how the back wheel is connected to the rear frame, so I may chop that off, do it again, and bring the wheel a little closer to the seat - as soon as I can figure out a way of getting from inch and a quarter tube to 5mm 'hooks' for the wheel to sit in.

Anyway,

20121208_205957.jpg

Me on it (sort of hovering on the seat cos everything is just tacked and probably won't hold 18 stones of manliness!)

20121208_210140.jpg

It's currently about 6 inches longer than the other one I made - and with the curves on it, I now think the old one looks crap!

I'm actually pretty happy with the shape of the frame on this one. Planning on pretty wide beach bars on it this time instead of apes.

I agree. Massive backwheel and a more beefy fork (triple tree, for example) would give this bike the looks that it deserves.
Great work on the frame, Doormandean! Thumbs up. 8)

wimpy said:
1! Can you make me a set? :lol:

Luke.
Should be easy to bend 'em yourself. And if they're not perfect,nobody notices. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:D :lol: :D

If he did make them for me, freight over here to Australia would at least be cheap! :lol:

Afraid not matey, between being out of work and really rather poor (can't afford new chains, wheels, cables etc), and a rather unpleasant arthritis like illness knackering my spine recently I haven't been in the garage :(

I'm going to be making a concerted effort to get out there again really rather soon though. :D

Doormandean said:
Afraid not matey, between being out of work and really rather poor (can't afford new chains, wheels, cables etc), and a rather unpleasant arthritis like illness knackering my spine recently I haven't been in the garage :(

I'm going to be making a concerted effort to get out there again really rather soon though. :D
:shock: Buddy, feeling sorry for ya! Being out of work is not fun for anyone, completely understand you not working on the bikes, important things like food, shelter must come first!

I know what it is like to live with a bad back, I was hit by a car on my way to school when I was 13, ended up with 4 fused vertebrae in my back, problem is, they did not fuse straight, been a constant cause of pain since then. Probably not all that similar to your arthritis situation, but I have some idea of what it is like to struggle with back pain. (Also have a chronic illness which is quite painful at times!)

Dont stress about getting out there and working on the bikes too much, I think you will find we are a pretty understanding mob...

Hope things improve for you soon,

Luke.

I love the lines of your frame man. I've really gotta get a tube bender, working on a budget sucks but breeds the most creative results

Latest posts

Back