Chinese Scooter

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
outskirtscustoms said:
Any progress? I know I'd be itching to ride that thing.
LIFE keeps getting in the way!...ARRGH! I got everything painted. Had a little trouble at first with Fish Eyes, I don't know what the Chinese use for paint. But I got that figured out. I wanted to finish this and maybe do a build off bike. I'm hopping to get everything done this weekend.

Gdcast said:
Wow KOTA!! Can´t wait to see how you bend those forks! :mrgreen:

I'm gonna need a bigger conduit bender AND bigger arms. :lol:

KOTA said:
outskirtscustoms said:
Any progress? I know I'd be itching to ride that thing.
LIFE keeps getting in the way!...ARRGH! I got everything painted. Had a little trouble at first with Fish Eyes, I don't know what the Chinese use for paint. But I got that figured out. I wanted to finish this and maybe do a build off bike. I'm hopping to get everything done this weekend.

Gdcast said:
Wow KOTA!! Can´t wait to see how you bend those forks! :mrgreen:

I'm gonna need a bigger conduit bender AND bigger arms. :lol:

That looks like a really cool project – but I can empathies with, “LIFE keeps getting in the way!"

The End Game is when we sit on a new project and reminisces about the hurdles it took to get it finished, than when we start riding it, those moments of Nirvana start to set in.

ZygoteLittle said:
The End Game is when we sit on a new project and reminisces about the hurdles it took to get it finished, than when we start riding it, those moments of Nirvana start to set in.

Then Life makes us sell our toys. :roll:

outskirtscustoms said:
ZygoteLittle said:

Then Life makes us sell our toys. :roll:
The alternative to selling/donating our projects is pathological collecting – commonly known as hoarding; sometimes we need to let them go in order to make room for the next project.

While on the subject of projects; how is that scooter doing, Kota? :D

I figure it's been sitting there for so long, almost three weeks, that it might have depreciated to half it's original value! :lol: ....I write this with paint all over my hands. My daughter just bought a house and dad HAD to paint five rooms in a day and a half (Life gets in the way). I'm planning on doing EVERYTHING Sunday. Panels are painted. So the only thing left to do is: Put brake fluid in, bleed line. Change the fuel lines and fuel filter, and vacuum lines to better quality. Change gear(tranny) oil. Change motor oil, Change spark plug to an NGK plug. Pull valve cover off and check, and adjust valves if needed. Adjust carburetor. Let's see, have I left anything out? OH! ASSEMBLE it back together. That's if kids (36 and 38 yrs. old), grand kids (6-8-14 and 20 years old), Mother in law (88 yrs old), wife (*** yrs old), neighbors and job, LEAVE ME ALONE!

Be glad that you can do all of those things. At a few years up in age the things that get in your way are sometimes physical. If your not having those problems a few minor setbacks are ok.

DONG FANG...rolls! :lol: Got all the mechanical and electrical work DONE! Worked on it Sunday. I only managed to mis-match one vacuum and fuel line, wouldn't start. But after that was FINALLY figured out (hour and a half), started right up and purrred like a kitten. Then decided before I put it all back together, I'd better check everything out AGAIN. Of course there were no headlights, fuel gauge not working. They are now!...SOOO before it goes back together, I zipped tied the gas tank in place and off I went, just the frame and wires all over the place. I can't believe how quick it accelerated, with someone my size on it. Now the floor and all the plastics go back on and I'll post some pics. So far so good. I know Chinese scooters have a bad reputation. The only thing I can say, so far, is: If you don't have the ability or capability to go through EVERY inch of it, you're going to be very unhappy. I found numerous bad connections or loose wires, lots of loose nuts and bolts. This is all, just dealer prep work...I figured I saved well over $1000 by doing it my self. I now also have a personal relationship with every wire, nut, bolt and screw on my scoot. :roll:

This is what it looks like. I messed up on the very LAST step. I broke the bolt that mounts the front fender and speedo cable. So the fender is just sitting on the wheel. I swear they make bolts, in China, out of balsa wood......I changed as many as I could.....It's almost done! ........This thing runs sweet.

003-28.jpg

Edit 5/23: COMPLETELY FINISHED

005-23.jpg

004-25.jpg

002-54.jpg

It's all steel.

Well done Larry!

Will it be possible to upgrade the bolts, as shearing bolts at low torque settings can be a bit disconcerting, especially on a motor scooter.

Nonetheless, enjoy your new ride, you’ve earned it! 8)

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
NICE! 8) 8)

You should put KOTA over the Dong Fang :mrgreen:

I'm having a decal made to fit over Dong Fang....Same size, black with KOTA in yellow! :lol:

graphic.png

KOTA said:
I'm having a decal made to fit over Dong Fang....Same size, black with KOTA in yellow! :lol:

Good, it sounded like a really painful men's disease.

I'm ready for action shots.

Latest posts

Back