Cherry Bomb

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I've started a new build for my wife. She named it "Cherry Bomb," as it will be a very dark black cherry color, with some other cherry touches when complete. I've got some time, as it needs to be finished by April in time for O.B.C. in Las Vegas.

This one will be very different from my other builds, for two reasons. One, the main priority will be comfort. I have slowly figured out what my wife likes and doesn't like on the other bikes she's ridden, and this should be her "ultimate" bike. Electric assist, not too low to risk scraping, disc brakes, just the right dimensions, etc. Two, I will be going all out with this one. Powder coat, sealed bearings, three piece cranks, new triple tree front, and on and on. This will probably end up as my most expensive build ever. I'm okay with that, though, as in the end, I have one of several bikes I can ride, and my wife wants only this one. Here is the start:
IMG_2762_zps6c5d9b2b.jpg

Most of the dimensions are actually copied from the hard-to-find short Basman frame. The Midtown Cruiser Shop has one here in Sac, and he let my wife test ride it. She really loved it, so the BB, head tube, wheel base, and seat are all basically the same measurements as that.

Sweet flow to this one! I like the higgy colorflow vibe to the mid-tube.

Made some good progress today on the frame. Finished the front half of the frame:
IMG_2764_zpsd4b91d58.jpg

The wife wanted a Basman-like seat post with forward/back movement, so I integrated one in:
IMG_2765_zps858c3ae3.jpg

IMG_2766_zpsc6eddab7.jpg

I mounted the tires on a set of wheels (not the ones I'll be using, as I don't have them yet), and then I took some photos to decide how to run the rear triangle. How I originally envisioned it:
IMG_2769_zps23864d6f.jpg

A more traditional rear:
IMG_2768_zpsfb27e6cf.jpg

What the wife and I finally settled on:
IMG_2767_zps56be271d.jpg

I think I liked the traditional positions a little better, but the wife preferred the last one, so that's the way I'll go with them. She did have a pretty cool idea for the drops that work best with this option, so it should come out as a cool touch.

I love the fact that she is involved with the build decisions. Sounds like it's not just a bike you are building for her, but a bike you are building WITH her! Way Cool!

This is not really my place to say... The wife is ALWAYS right... But how's about continuing the curve of the top tube??? It seems like that angle doesn't... "Match?"

This is not really my place to say... The wife is ALWAYS right... But how's about continuing the curve of the top tube??? It seems like that angle doesn't... "Match?"

Good idea, but the problem is that I'll already need to bend the seat stays in to meet up with the frame, so to bend it in another direction downward may be beyond what I can do with the equipment I've got. I can play around with it, though.

I put in the stays today, and I really like how it came out! I took jlr551CFD's advice, and put in a little bit of a bend in the seat stays, which I think helped the overall appearance. I also had to cut off the seat post I made, because I accidentally made it 1". I slid in a solid 7/8" bar, and it was an easy fix.
IMG_2770_zps092ea67d.jpg

I've got some cool drops to make, and I'm making a cup holder that will be cut into the top tube, putting her drink right where it's most comfortable. After those to things, the frame will be done! Then the real work begins.

I agree that the seatstay bend works great with the flow.
You're moving fast on this one.

I'm glad it worked out!!! Like I said earlier... Totally not my bees-wax... But I'm happy I could add to this awesome frame. Totally jealous of the skills...

My wife had an idea for the drops, which went with the name of the bike. A name she came up with, by the way. She asked me if I could make the drops look like cartoony bombs. so, that's what I set out to do.
IMG_2773_zps1143c479.jpg

IMG_2774_zps1df97868.jpg

The last thing to do before I could call the frame done was make and cut in a cup holder, which my wife asked for. While I felt it would disrupt the flow of the frame, I'm pretty sure that once the forks, bars, etc., are on there, it will be fine. I took a piece of 3" tubing from an exercise bike, and made a cup holder to put into the frame.
IMG_2777_zps3fe1a570.jpg

IMG_2775_zps9526ee26.jpg

IMG_2776_zpsdc04fa71.jpg

The frame is done! The next step will take some time, as it will now be about collecting parts for the build.

LOVE IT MAN!!!!:rockout::113:

I bought the first round of parts to be able to start mocking this bike up. Bought the front end, and the sealed bearings for the BB and head tube. I then took some parts I already had around to finish getting it rolling. Most of these aren't the final parts, but I want my wife to be able to test ride it before I send it in for powder coating.
IMG_2778_zps71844720.jpg

IMG_2779_zpsf6bd2a10.jpg

Put on a mock up drive train so that my wife could actually try it, and make sure that all the dimensions work for her. It did, so the next thing will be to tear it down, and get it ready for powder coating. This build is moving a lot faster than expected. It'll be a while before the wheelset is done!
IMG_2783_zps9e033998.jpg

Dude! Dat frame!

This is turning out more awesome than it looked from the start, way to exceed yourself :D

From Tapatalk on this stoopid iPhone...

Latest posts

Back