CHERRY BOMB! Lighting her off! *DONE*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A bit of a delayed start for me. I was busy last week with work and packing bikes and parts for the Trexlertown, Pa. swap meet. I picked up this bike last year when I was on honeymoon. I think it is a Flightliner. I think it will clean up pretty well. It has some light rust on it and a lot of grease. The AS springer forks I sold at the swap meet and the tires and wheels are off the bike now. I'll try to finish stripping it down this weekend. TO BE DETERMINED on the name for now.
DSCN2434.jpg

Flightliner is what it looks like to me as well! Love mine, will be watching this one!

keep the rubber side down!

Good to see you aboard oh highway soldier! Looks like you've got a good start with that frame.

Love FlightLiners !!

And another week went by without progress. Had to do the mothers day thing ya' know because mom's are awesome.
Progress this past weekend though. The frame was coated in grease and grime and a little bit of the original red paint. I got it looking better. I am looking for a tank for this, btw.
20170521_095557.jpg

20170521_095604.jpg

20170521_095614.jpg
20170521_122605.jpg

Half the bikes I've built were Flightliners. I guess I like them...I know I like yours. Cleaned up nicely.

I scored a tank! It is complete minus the clear plastic light cover. I've already soaked the bezel in purple stuff to strip the old chrome off. I'll clean up the rust with a wood bleach soak and see if I can get it working.
DSCN2466.jpg

DSCN2467.jpg

DSCN2468.jpg

Dude it took me a year to find a tank for mine! :) can't wait to see what you do with it

Love those Flightliner frames.
Can't wait to see your spin on it.

How did you strip the bezel? Brake fluid ?
Not brake fluid. It's called Purple Power or Purple Stuff. It is a cleaner/degreaser. It will strip chrome and paint off of plastic with no harm to the plastic. I have used it on models for years.

Tank light is not working. So, I pulled out the 'ole multi-meter and did some testing. It seems that the ground was bad. I drilled out the rivet, cleaned the contact points on the tank and bracket, put a new connector and wire on it and installed a screw and nut. Now it works!
DSCN2469.jpg

DSCN2471.jpg

DSCN2470.jpg

I used this adhesive backed foil to...
DSCN2472.jpg

make this look better.
DSCN2473.jpg

Ok, I now have a direction and name. Cherry Bomb! I got the tank stripped and painted it with Dupli-Color Bright Red. The fork are Worksman's and the tires will be COLUMBIA SUPERB 26x2.125's.
DSCN2474.jpg

Not brake fluid. It's called Purple Power or Purple Stuff. It is a cleaner/degreaser. It will strip chrome and paint off of plastic with no harm to the plastic. I have used it on models for years.
Castrol Super Clean is very similar, I've used both for plastic models as well...and the Super Clean seems a bit stronger (I think they dropped the 'Castrol', and it is now just SuperClean). But, for all...wear gloves when handling or you will develop some very interesting texture on your skin :shake:.

Jason

Nice work on the light reflector shield! I like the red tank. Bombs away!

Latest posts

Back