Cheap huffy being sold as ready to ride with loose axles and cracked tires.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People think because it'a roadbike and old, it's worth something. Like classic cars. I wouldnt be surprised if somebody was trying to get 150 for one of those schwinn... forgot what they were called... something to do with fire. Red roadbike with a aahtabula crank.

Reactions: Grant
Feb 9, 2019
Colorado
theccrider.blogspot.com
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those guys are funny. Along with an unnamed cooperative, bicycles I break down from them tend to have been bastardized in many manners of horrible ways. The last one I broke down was cobbled together with parts that did not fit, hardware store bolts that were the wrong size and huge amounts of petrified cheap automotive axle grease. I must say though, that crusty axle grease weeped onto some chrome and saved it from weather damage that other chrome on the bike did not endure. Craptastic

Oct 28, 2018
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People think because it'a roadbike and old, it's worth something. Like classic cars. I wouldnt be surprised if somebody was trying to get 150 for one of those schwinn... forgot what they were called... something to do with fire. Red roadbike with a aahtabula crank.
I don't know one that was specifically red, but Varsity, Continental, Sportabout, Super Sport. A lot of people on reddit post pictures of them thinking they found something valuable. :headbang:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know one that was specifically red, but Varsity, Continental, Sportabout, Super Sport. A lot of people on reddit post pictures of them thinking they found something valuable. :headbang:
Schwinm Caliente I think it is. They were small, heavy, cheap, with an ashtabula crank.

Reactions: Grant

Starnger

Pro Member
Aug 4, 2016
Poznan, Poland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where i live those are being very hip now. So bikes like those are easily sold among the individuals who don't really know much about bikes.
Someone i know came to me for some service the other day, about two or three month ago. The guy said he paid around 190$ for the bike he was showing me. It was an old polish 28" frame, normal euro-style city bike, not a road bike. They have somewhat similar geometry as a sport bike, but are waaay poorer quality and heavier. The whole bike was built on the mix of dead used 1970's and 1980's parts, and modern chinese no-name fixie parts. Cottered cranks did not hold, the bearings in the BB were loose, in the head the bearings were smashed. The frame was powder-coated without being properly disassembled, but the most horrible thing - the bearing cups in the head were powder-coated too and then pressed in. The head tube was so loose and worn out, that it fitted in even with two layers of powder (one on the frame, second on the cup) coat. Or should i say it held only because of those two layers of powder coat? Front brake was on the rear wheel with a bunch of spacers to cover the length of the bolt to be attached to the fork.
For us it looks like a joke, we don't really believe anyone would buy such a piece of rubbish. But there are people out there who go and buy it because it is red and it has slim sporty wheels.

Jun 13, 2015
US occupied MA
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where i live those are being very hip now. So bikes like those are easily sold among the individuals who don't really know much about bikes.
Someone i know came to me for some service the other day, about two or three month ago. The guy said he paid around 190$ for the bike he was showing me. It was an old polish 28" frame, normal euro-style city bike, not a road bike. They have somewhat similar geometry as a sport bike, but are waaay poorer quality and heavier. The whole bike was built on the mix of dead used 1970's and 1980's parts, and modern chinese no-name fixie parts. Cottered cranks did not hold, the bearings in the BB were loose, in the head the bearings were smashed. The frame was powder-coated without being properly disassembled, but the most horrible thing - the bearing cups in the head were powder-coated too and then pressed in. The head tube was so loose and worn out, that it fitted in even with two layers of powder (one on the frame, second on the cup) coat. Or should i say it held only because of those two layers of powder coat? Front brake was on the rear wheel with a bunch of spacers to cover the length of the bolt to be attached to the fork.
For us it looks like a joke, we don't really believe anyone would buy such a piece of rubbish. But there are people out there who go and buy it because it is red and it has slim sporty wheels.
And I feel too responsible to sell my RRB 14 BO bike because it only has a single (rear) brake and it's a disc conversion. While it works a lot better than the original coaster, I don't know how it would hold up to heavy use from someone who doesn't know to keep an eye on it and to restrict it to flatter rides to be safe.

Reactions: Starnger
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of...

View attachment 135311

Complete with a Positron II derailleur and FFS bottom bracket freewheel. How can you NOT part with $300?! The suicide brakes are a bonus--no extra charge.
I never seen one with a ffs. Also; BWAHAHAHAHA... AHHAHAHAHA! A roadbike that outwieghs the round tube Denalis... bwahahaha!