Cheap Bike Cleaner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I flip a lot of bikes, so they are mostly relatively new box store bikes.
One thing I can say for these cheap BSO's (bicycle shaped objects) is that the paint/graphics on them is very good and durable.

You might not want to take this advice on your older vintage Schwinn where the graphics are fragile.

Take an empty spray bottle and mix in 1/4 water, 1/4 Dawn Dish Detergent, and 1/2 white vinegar.
Be sure to use the Original Grease Cutting Blue Dawn Liquid.

Spray the entire bike down, everything, and let it sit for a few minutes.

Spray off with your water hose sprayer set on the high pressure steam setting.

Dry it off with your lawn leaf blower if you have one, or just let it drip dry.

Lube everything up, adjust all the cable operated stuff, and list on Craigs List.

Hint: if the tires are flat, air them up first to keep water out from inside the tires and rims.

Second Hint: Wax the bike down with one of the new Car Polishes that don't turn white when they dry. Turtle Wax ICE is one. Ever try to get all that white dried wax out of all the little nooks and crannies that bicycles have? You can't, and it looks bad.

Last edited:
And when your pump hand disinfecting cleaner runs low, refill it with 1/2 Blue Dawn, a nice splash of vinegar, and 1/2 water. Cuts the grease off your hands and is gentle on the old skin. Yes, I am cheap! Ha!

"Second Hint: Wax the bike down with one of the new Car Polishes that don't turn white when they dry. Turtle Wax ICE is one. Ever try to get all that white dried wax out of all the little nooks and crannies that bicycles have? You can't, and it looks bad."
That's what the toothbrush in my detail kit is for... a soft one.

Latest posts

Back