Chainguard Paint Scuff

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I was looking at the chain guard on one of my favorite bikes, and noticed an arc worn through the paint. Looks to be right were the heal of my footwear passes by. I rode another bike today and the same thing happened. I am not aware of this happening at the time. Does anyone else experience this ? I know that there are chain stay protectors. I may have to fab something up.

That happens when the crank bearings have enough play so the crank ends contact the chainguard as you pedal. It could also be a slightly bent crank.
If the cranks are very loose then you can make gouges in the chainstays. I've seen that a lot on older bikes that were ridden until they couldn't go any farther, with big chunks missing from the chainstays.

Maybe the font mounting bracket is bent, guard bent or twisted, pushing the chain guard out enough to contact your foot/pedal?

I occasionally hit my heels on the crank and have to reposition my feet on the pedals.

My experience beyond ripping them off as a kid has been recent, but I traced the same problem to a bent crank. I bent it back a little, but it was still pretty close. Fix was adjusting the chainguard to sit more tightly within the frame so there's about a quarter inch of clearance.

Latest posts

Back