Chainguard ID

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
All I know about it is that it was found under a house along with a teardrop pedal.
It's going onto my march build off bike but I'd like to know what it came from.
KXE4yxH.jpg

mXSUqqb.jpg

Elgin or Shelby ?
WdSVQBrdJ1PzbYCxgN74CNLaVC3Du7gmPnaxJcFgfLk.jpg

It's different from that guard. The blue and white one is an Elgin Gothic guard that has a raised ridge at that paint line.

I am pretty sure that your guard is an aftermarket guard from the 40s. It looks like there are multiple holes on the front brace so that it would fit more bikes. But it was a higher level guard. Maybe MacCauley? It looks like the non-ribbed version of this one. Many times these are attributed to Manton and Smith bikes.

monark-chainguard-bicycle-bike-shelby_1_7a430d10a2159abf868cd825a092b065 (1).jpg
monark-chainguard-bicycle-bike-shelby_1_7a430d10a2159abf868cd825a092b065.jpg

I am pretty sure that your guard is an aftermarket guard from the 40s. It looks like there are multiple holes on the front brace so that it would fit more bikes. But it was a higher level guard. Maybe MacCauley? It looks like the non-ribbed version of this one. Many times these are attributed to Manton and Smith bikes.

View attachment 115599 View attachment 115600

this one is a wald "modern streamline", so i'd bet a dollar that the OP's is wald as well

View attachment 115599 View attachment 115600
Wow thanks, that's the shape of mine exactly.

All I know about it is that it was found under a house along with a teardrop pedal.
It's going onto my march build off bike but I'd like to know what it came from.
KXE4yxH.jpg

mXSUqqb.jpg

The chain guard is in fact a Shelby. I’ve got 2 original Shelby prewar bikes with that chain guard. One is a 1940 Shelby built Hiawatha, and the other is just a prewar Shelby

Latest posts

Back