1. The forum software will be upgraded on Saturday (April 4). During this time the site may be down for a period of time to make the change. Thanks for your patience as we do the work!
    Dismiss Notice

Chainguard ID

Discussion in 'BIKE I.D. & VALUATION QUESTIONS' started by schwinn boy, Mar 23, 2020.

1. schwinn boy

schwinn boy

All I know about it is that it was found under a house along with a teardrop pedal.
    It's going onto my march build off bike but I'd like to know what it came from.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sandman

sandman

Elgin or Shelby ?
    [​IMG]

3. schwinn boy

schwinn boy

I think that one comes to a sharper point than mine and if you look at the hole for the cranks that one is even on both sides while mine is not.

4. kingfish254

kingfish254 CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF! Pro Member

It's different from that guard. The blue and white one is an Elgin Gothic guard that has a raised ridge at that paint line.

5. kingfish254

kingfish254 CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF! Pro Member

I am pretty sure that your guard is an aftermarket guard from the 40s. It looks like there are multiple holes on the front brace so that it would fit more bikes. But it was a higher level guard. Maybe MacCauley? It looks like the non-ribbed version of this one. Many times these are attributed to Manton and Smith bikes.

monark-chainguard-bicycle-bike-shelby_1_7a430d10a2159abf868cd825a092b065 (1).jpg monark-chainguard-bicycle-bike-shelby_1_7a430d10a2159abf868cd825a092b065.jpg

Dr. Tankenstein, Wildcat and sandman like this.
  6. The Black Monark

The Black Monark

this one is a wald "modern streamline", so i'd bet a dollar that the OP's is wald as well

Dr. Tankenstein and kingfish254 like this.
  7. schwinn boy

schwinn boy

Wow thanks, that's the shape of mine exactly.